Electric Leaf Blower

Default Electric Leaf Blower

I understand that bees can become irritated if gas powered equipment (i.e. lawn mowers, etc.) are operated near the colony. I believe that it is the combination of the carbon monoxide and ground vibrations that seem to contribute to the agitation.

I was planning on placing two hives in my yard where I normally operate an electric leaf blower within several feet of the possible locations from November through March. Will the bees tolerate the noise especially when they may be in winter cluster or is it best to break out the rake?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Electric Leaf Blower

I use a lawn tractor with a bagger around my hives in the fall, no issues. The tractor is noisier than most leaf blowers.

>is it best to break out the rake?

Bees hate raking. Electric blower better. I have not had problem even with a gas blower. Just minimize your overall presence as much as possible.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

I think it's one of those "it depends" answers. I have a row of hives that I mow in front of with a garden tractor. I rarely get bothered even in mid-summer when they're booming. Note I said "rarely". Sometimes a guard or two will take chase. I mow quickly and move on. In the fall, when they're more defensive and maybe being bothered by yellow jackets, it's not quite so easy. If I'm around with a leaf blower (of any kind) or a trimmer in the fall I do take care. Still, getting tapped or stung is not a common occurrence.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    I think it's one of those "it depends" answers. I have a row of hives that I mow in front of with a garden tractor. I rarely get bothered even in mid-summer when they're booming. Note I said "rarely". Sometimes a guard or two will take chase. I mow quickly and move on. In the fall, when they're more defensive and maybe being bothered by yellow jackets, it's not quite so easy. If I'm around with a leaf blower (of any kind) or a trimmer in the fall I do take care. Still, getting tapped or stung is not a common occurrence.

Good answer. That's why I always wear a jacket with head cover.

Not a problem. The only time the wife gets in trouble is. When she wants to mow one small square. Instead of doing a circle and letting them settling down.
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"