Shelter in place...unintended consequences
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Shelter in place...unintended consequences

Unintended consequences.
    There is conflicting information about some of the NYC power outages but it has been suggested that there was a measurable bonus nine months later. Of course, these events only lasted hours.
    So what implication can we take from weeks of confinement? I have not had occasion to walk down the aisle where the related PPE resides at the drugstore but for those who have….are the shelves empty? Or even more concerning…are they not?
    Mark your calendars. Like for around New Years.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Shelter in place...unintended consequences

Even more concerning.
    After watching some of the shenanigans on Florida beaches and some young peoples’ lack of concern, I have to wonder what might result from a near simultaneous conception/Corona infection.
    A bit scary to ponder.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Unintended consequences.
    There is conflicting information about some of the NYC power outages but it has been suggested that there was a measurable bonus nine months later. Of course, these events only lasted hours.
    So what implication can we take from weeks of confinement? I have not had occasion to walk down the aisle where the related PPE resides at the drugstore but for those who have….are the shelves empty? Or even more concerning…are they not?
    Mark your calendars. Like for around New Years.
    Power outages in NYC ?
    You mean the 8 customers in NYC currently without power ? Yes, Eight. This as of 10:15 on 3/21/20

https://apps.coned.com/stormcenter/e...l/default.html

Maybe turn off the TV and go work the bees is a option you might consider.
    Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Power outages in NYC ?
    You mean the 8 customers in NYC currently without power ? Yes, Eight. This as of 10:15 on 3/21/20

https://apps.coned.com/stormcenter/e...l/default.html
    No. From the sixties and seventies.
    Sorry that you missed the context.

Maybe turn off the TV and go work the bees is a option you might consider.
    Good grief.
    Exactly what I intend to do. I might advise the same for you.

Exactly what I intend to do. I might advise the same for you.
    tougher up here in the 30's today
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Unintended consequences.
    There is conflicting information about some of the NYC power outages but it has been suggested that there was a measurable bonus nine months later.
    My wife has been part of the hospital planning for this pandemic since it started. They already have plans for dramatic increase in staffing requirements in the maternity department starting around December.15.

But it does go both ways. Earlier this week they went thru the basement and re-allocated one of the large rooms where they can hold temperatures down, it's now set up as a temporary morgue, which triples the capacity of the morgue.

No. From the sixties and seventies.
    Sorry that you missed the context.
    context, where in your thoughts? "There is conflicting information about some of the NYC power outages but it has been suggested that there was a measurable bonus nine months later. "
    Somehow I missed that you were referring to the blackouts of 50 and 60 years ago.
    By the way, there have been other blackouts in NYC in the interim as well.

A good long blizzard results in the same outcome nine months later. Nothing new here Dan.

Bee work completed this morning before the temperatures dropped.
    Heading to the raspberries now to fix the trellises.

Try to Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale......

A good long blizzard results in the same outcome nine months later. Nothing new here Dan.
    A blizzard on a local/regional scale nothing new, we are talking globally this time.

given the longer duration and impact on dating the rate could go down in the younger pop
    "oh well, let us stick to science. let them have their beliefs and intuitions!" -Medhat Nasr

context, where in your thoughts?
    Do you understand past vs present tense in the English language?
    It’s ok. I’ll help you out.
    ‘ there was a measurable bonus nine months later’
    ‘ these events only lasted hours’
    Did anyone else have trouble understanding this?
    I posted the exact same message on my facebook page and every response indicated comprehension.

Try to Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale......
    Excellent advice. I trust that you will take it.

And, since I don't feel a compulsion to have the last word....I'll leave that for you.
    Last edited by beemandan; 03-21-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    A blizzard on a local/regional scale nothing new, we are talking globally this time.

given the longer duration and impact on dating the rate could go down in the younger pop
    And...as I pointed out earlier a conception with a concurrent/soon thereafter Corona infection adds all sorts of ugly potential that a blizzard is less likely to.

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    My wife has been part of the hospital planning for this pandemic since it started. They already have plans for dramatic increase in staffing requirements in the maternity department starting around December.15.

But it does go both ways. Earlier this week they went thru the basement and re-allocated one of the large rooms where they can hold temperatures down, it's now set up as a temporary morgue, which triples the capacity of the morgue.
    My wife is a nurse here in the States. I admit to being furious at our administration for not preparing and terrified at the lack of PPE. I hope you are better prepared in BC.
    Lee
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

The governing of these types of events fall into the, "Darned if you do, darned if you don't", category. If he shut down the country before very many people were ill, he would have been accused of unnecessarily wrecking the economy. If he waited too long, he would be accused of mass murder. If the country is shut down early enough to stop an outbreak, there is no way to prove it wasn't too early or even necessary.
    Remember how angry the President became when a cruise ship was allowed to dock without any quarantine measures in place. It takes leadership from the President and coordination and cooperation from the Senate, the House all the way down to Mayors and Governors of the cities and states to be successful.
    I guess that is why he gets the big bucks, although I read he gives his away.

Good luck to everyone.
    Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    My wife is a nurse here in the States. I admit to being furious at our administration for not preparing and terrified at the lack of PPE. I hope you are better prepared in BC.
    Lee
    We like to think that preparations are the best we can do under the circumstances. At present there is no shortage of PPE for our health care workers, but, if this drags on long enough then lots of things will start to run out. At the same time, I know there are a bunch of textile places across the country currently switching from making coats to making masks.

Will see how it goes. Chris had the terrible job yesterday of explaining to a family that only one person per day can go in to visit with Mom who is in the isolation ward. The hospital has to supply a mask to everybody entering that ward, so patients in there are limited to one visitor per day. If they gave all 5 of them masks every day, then yes, we would run out very quickly.

I went down to the grocery store this morning and was greeted by a cattle chute arrangement at the door with markers 6 feet apart to space people. Only 15 allowed inside total. As one leaves, one is let in. There has been one reported case at each of the two cities a hundred miles east and west of us. Not here yet but the reality potential is starting to sink in.

Some local health boards are unhappy with the handwringing and lack of decision on the part of provincial and federal levels to put serious lockdown in effect. If you wait till it is on your doorstep........ well, you cant un ring a bell. Politicians..........
    Frank

We like to think that preparations are the best we can do under the circumstances. At present there is no shortage of PPE for our health care workers, but, if this drags on long enough then lots of things will start to run out. At the same time, I know there are a bunch of textile places across the country currently switching from making coats to making masks.

Will see how it goes. Chris had the terrible job yesterday of explaining to a family that only one person per day can go in to visit with Mom who is in the isolation ward. The hospital has to supply a mask to everybody entering that ward, so patients in there are limited to one visitor per day. If they gave all 5 of them masks every day, then yes, we would run out very quickly.
    I suspect you're having the same nightmares I'm having with a wife in the direct path of this thing. Good luck to you both, especially her. Heath care workers are the true heroes.
    Lee
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

The hospital my wife works for has already issued a warning about having enough PPE. Nurses just recieved an email yeasterday outlining the steps they were to take to be able to keep using the masks for an extended period of time, including proper storage techniques. Storage???
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Will see how it goes. Chris had the terrible job yesterday of explaining to a family that only one person per day can go in to visit with Mom who is in the isolation ward.
    I wonder if they can set up a tablet in the room and have family 'visit' via skype or facetime or something similar.
    I suppose it would take a boatload of tablets and clinical staff time getting it set up...probably not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    The hospital my wife works for has already issued a warning about having enough PPE. Nurses just recieved an email yeasterday outlining the steps they were to take to be able to keep using the masks for an extended period of time, including proper storage techniques. Storage???
    Yeah..., storage. Health care workers have been completely let down and they will pay for it with their lives. I hope my wife and I survive this. I hope you and yours does too.
    Lee

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast