Shelter in place...unintended consequences - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Shelter in place...unintended consequences

For places close to the border, it's quite common to have a tour bus that stops by seniors centers then takes them on a shopping trip north of the border once a month or so. They typically head to drugstores to get refills that cost far far less than if purchased south of the border. With the border between Canada and the US now closed, those shopping trips for perscription drugs aren't going to be happening for a while. gonna be a bunch of folks in a pickle because they cant afford the drugs they need....

How big a difference does it make ? Was on the phone with a client in eastern USA earlier today. He takes a drug that if purchased thru local sources runs about $4000 a month. He drives 8 hours to Montreal once every 6 months or so to buy a 6 month supply. total cost for that, about 50 dollars. As he put it, well worth the drive...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Unintended consequences.
    There is conflicting information about some of the NYC power outages but it has been suggested that there was a measurable bonus nine months later. Of course, these events only lasted hours.
    So what implication can we take from weeks of confinement? I have not had occasion to walk down the aisle where the related PPE resides at the drugstore but for those who have….are the shelves empty? Or even more concerning…are they not?
    Mark your calendars. Like for around New Years.
    I would think that + 9 months from now we do se some sort of Increase, Passing time ,,,,,,, Can't say I was not wondering the same thing.
    GG

I have a son with a rare genetic illness that use to cost about $200 per month in today's dollars; been taking the drug for 40 years. Suddenly the price went up, 5-6 thousand per month. It has decreased to about $3000.00 per month or so. Canada sells the same pill for the equivalent of $250 per month. There is more to the story. Great set of laws and administration rules we have for our medical system - depending on your viewpoint.

The only power shortage us in cranial capacity if the mayor and governor

Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    "Who's job was it to make sure the hospital's etc had enough?"
    That would be the job of the National Stockpile led by the Pandemic team Trump fired and never replaced. You
    Lee
    This is false the Pandemic team wasn’t fired but reorganized to another reporting chain. Now which fake news source did you this from? Even the WP admits it.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...outputType=amp

Portland OR; haven’t seen sanitizer, rubbing alcohol or a thermometer on drugstore shelves in weeks. Providers I know say PPE is very short, and hospital admins warn immediate firing if employees disclose any info re: # cases, lack of PPE, etc. Gag orders are a nationwide problem, per MD forums.

Quote Originally Posted by rinkevichjm View Post
    Now which fake news source did you this from?
    My guess it would be the same news outfit that told America COVID-19 was just a hoax and 'fake news', it would pass by the weekend.

100,000 infected and 1700 dead. At what point does it stop being 'fake news' and become real ?

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    My guess it would be the same news outfit that told America COVID-19 was just a hoax and 'fake news', it would pass by the weekend.

100,000 infected and 1700 dead. At what point does it stop being 'fake news' and become real ?

For the sake of sanity, learn to put it in perspective.
    Many have been forced to. It has helped.
    The last thing anyone wants or needs is a skipping broken record.

I would need to go back and read the original statements again plus the dates of who said what and when, but I believe the President called the assigning of blame to be the hoax. This seems to be one of those fires that just grows larger the more it gets stomped on. Again, one needs to read what the President said in quotes.
    As always one needs to pay attention to quotation marks and be wary of the "anonymous source" and the ubiquitous, "Someone close to the administration". If a quote cannot be attributed to a living, known and identifiable person, it should be painted red.
    Also, look for the, "Edited and shortened for clarity" notation. It is generally in the fine print.
    I long for the days when the news was simply reported instead of interpreted, twisted and tortured into something to support an agenda designed by entertainers (journalists) to divide people.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Here is a link to the COVID-19 "Hoax" statements.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/tr...-the-new-hoax/

Just in case anyone thinks this is a site for conservative apologists, look around, it covers a lot of statements he has made that were not true, as well as statements from all of our favorite players.
    Enjoy.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

One has the responsibility of how a statement is heard, as well as what you meant. You don't stomp a spider in a chicken house because you don't like spiders. A crowd of people ( especially on the internet) is not that different.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

I believe the answer is the Veterans Administration which has a mandate from Congress. Now the question is was funding provided or even requested? I do believe the Pandemic team, 400 strong (that sounds big), was folded into other groups within the NSC, demoted or something like that.

People impersonating police officers is a disturbing thing that is now happening with this entire mess . . . . uggggg

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/03/...-impersonator/

My wife is a nurse here in the States. I admit to being furious at our administration for not preparing and terrified at the lack of PPE. I hope you are better prepared in BC.
    Lee
    When did it get to be the federal government's job to prepare state/private hospitals for disease control. Individuals must take care of themselves and resort to federal support after they have done so. Hospitals PAY personnel to order/warehouse equipment/supplies so they need to ask themselves the question of WHERE IS THE PPE. It should have been ordered from their suppliers in December.

What is DISGUSTING is that this has happened before and apparently we didn't learn anything.
    Will we learn ANYTHING this time?

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...em/5083577002/
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

"It should have been ordered from their suppliers in December."

I don't think they were included in the Intelligence Agency's briefings.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    What is DISGUSTING is that this has happened before and apparently we didn't learn anything.
    Will we learn ANYTHING this time?

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...em/5083577002/
    We have a short retention time. Humans are programmed to strongly discount the future. Eat, drink, and be merry has been good survival tactics for the species so far; just look at our numbers! Looking forward though, new problems loom but our inherent programming is not changing fast enough to meet the speed of change that lies ahead. Geographic isolation is a wonderful natural limitation on the spread of disease; we surely have eliminated that!
    Frank

That would be the job of the National Stockpile led by the Pandemic team Trump fired and never replaced.
    Lee
    Not exactly accurate there -
    https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN21C32M

Pandemic team question is a bit of misdirection itself. What was done or not done with warnings is a valid question.

PPE shortage is not the linchpin fault question. Testing on the level of S. Korea or China would have reduced deaths, hospitalizations and PPE the shortage. What went wrong with testing preparation is the real question. On the face of it the USA fell far short of the World Health Organization on the ramp up of testing.

Stockpiles. There is some valid criticism of handling and hush hush of size of stockpiles. If there is not much available, the planning needs to be based upon that knowledge. Is it a delay the bad news silence tactic?

Were the Feds or anybody to have stockpiled after 1918 flu there would not be much value today in 1920 stockpiles. That is an ongoing problem with the concept of maintaining a stockpile for every scenario.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast