Moving hives

Thread: Moving hives

Default Moving hives

I've never moved a hive before but now I've found an out yard I plan to use this fall where there is a good goldenrod flow (I hope). There is no fall flow where I am.

I will be moving 4-5 colonies about 70 miles. I plan to strap the boxes together, staple screens over the entrance in the evening and leave before sunrise.

Two questions:

- Do I need to do anything else like face the entrances to the rear of the truck or.......?

- Will they re-orient on their own or will I need grass/leaves on the entrance?

Never done this before so I appreciate any tips on making this easy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Moving hives

That basic what I do --I also put something in front of entrance ---I let them set there for a hour or so to settle down before I remove the screen

Commercial beekeepers do not screen the front of hives. The only time I have is when I did cut outs with my van. Ratchet strap them up so they donít come apart. Load after dark, and go. Strap them down to the bed of the truck.

You don't have angry bees all over the place at a red light?

Seems like they would get upset at being bounced around in a truck.

Never had a problem with angry bees at lights. At night they will stay in. But then I am moving on country roads. No traffic lights 😁😁

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    Commercial beekeepers do not screen the front of hives. The only time I have is when I did cut outs with my van. Ratchet strap them up so they don’t come apart. Load after dark, and go. Strap them down to the bed of the truck.
    True about not putting screen on the hives; however, they probably throw a net over the load. Loading can be done in evening before it gets dark. It may be a good idea to leave a catcher hive to catch the stragglers. If you screen a hive that's loaded with bees in hot weather, you are at risk of cooking them by closing the bees inside.

If you're moving that far you should be fine with just screening, loading, unloading and unscreening. Do strap them tightly. I once assumed that a pickup bed of boxes with bees would be OK on the way to the orchard. There was a little space between the boxes and they jostled enough to get a lot of bees flying. If you don't strap down, consider taping the seam between the upper and lower boxes. Once you get there you should be fine. No need to orient on the way or when you're there. The bees will know they're in a new place and they'll do their thing.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Thanks folks, sounds easy. Hopefully this works out and I'll get a few supers of goldenrod honey out of this.

Golden rod is a wonderful flow the honey crystallizes extremely fast and turns rock hard so not great for consumption or sale but great for overwintering bees. I move 20-30 hives a few times a year I recently built these setups and they work well. With only a handful of hives I’d recommend screening them it just saves a headache my bees have always come out. If I had hundreds I would not bother. I use a trailer but the single box base would work good for you. I recommend having them ratchet strapped before you decide to move them so you aren’t fooling with straps in the dark and just roll up screen them throw in truck and take off. My single bases I built with 2/4 and screwed a bottom board down on and I have down angled deck screws to hold the ratchet strap.