Ceracell hive top feeders

Default Ceracell hive top feeders

I finally got around to removing the mason jar feeders and installing the small Ceracell feeder on three of my nucs. And we are off to the races. I had been going through a pint every 3-4 days on the stonger nucs. Those same nucs are now going through 1/2 gallon every two days and are drawing new comb very fast, two deep frames in just one week. The nucs with the mason jars are plugging along at the same rate as before. Conclusion, I need to buy more of these things. I still like my Beemax feeders from Betterbee, but the Ceracell feeders are a better product overall in terms of design and ease of cleaning. Only drawback is the poor fit of the feeder frame.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ceracell hive top feeders

I have one 10 frame version. I really like it; one odd thing I've noticed is that random colonies refuse to touch it. I can move it to another colony and use a jar in it's place and then both hives are happy. It's odd...I wonder if it was just timing and that colony didn't want feed that week.

I've seen this three times. Really great feeder, though.

I have two Ceracell feeders and a nuc feeder. I love those feeders. I will be getting more.
    Zone 6B

Have you tried a mann lake top feeder? If so how do they compare?

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    Have you tried a mann lake top feeder? If so how do they compare?
    I just switched to the Ceracell. My opinion is the Ceracells are much better. The Mann Lake feeders flex w/ the weight of sugar water and bees find ways out of the screen into the feeder. I used silicone to seal the screen to the feeder body and have still come back to a feeder full of bees. Some were good after sealing, others not. Not entirely sure how they got in. Bad fitting lid (maybe slightly bowed but not perceptible) or the silicone didn't stick in some areas.

The plastic on the Ceracells seems thicker too, and there are small "braces" running across the bottom that add support.

Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    I just switched to the Ceracell. My opinion is the Ceracells are much better. The Mann Lake feeders flex w/ the weight of sugar water and bees find ways out of the screen into the feeder. I used silicone to seal the screen to the feeder body and have still come back to a feeder full of bees. Some were good after sealing, others not. Not entirely sure how they got in. Bad fitting lid (maybe slightly bowed but not perceptible) or the silicone didn't stick in some areas.

The plastic on the Ceracells seems thicker too, and there are small "braces" running across the bottom that add support.
    You are correct about the sagging of Mann Lake hivetop feeders allowing the tub bottom to pull clear of the bottom of the screen. I place a couple of battens of wood on top of the frames below the feeder to give support. From memory I think they need to be about 3/8" thick. No more bees in the syrup!
    Frank

Where is the best place to buy the 5-frame Cera
    cell nuc feeders?
    Lloyd Spear

I wish I knew. I also wish they would sell just the insert.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I got mine from Blythewood bee company. Amazon also has them but I suggest you carefully compare the prices and shipping.
    Zone 6B

I have several of these and have been happy with them.
    The main issue is that the center cap can be removed if you want to use them for dry feed. I glued them on using aquarium caulk as I would surely lose them otherwise.
    There is a different feeder of this type that is brown in color. I don't know the brand. Do not buy those! Total junk.
    These that I've linked are solid. You do need to supply an empty super to surround them.
    https://www.ts-bee.com/shop/technose...-feeder-gallon
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Got mine from Pierco and they have the 5 frame nuc feeders as well. I ordered from them because it came w/ the wood super. I had found somewhere where you order the feeder but had to order the super separately--can't remember where. This was for the 8 framers I was looking for, not sure about the 5 frame nuc feeders.

One of my biggest complaints about the Mann Lake feeder is that has an open cavity underneath. If I want to use it to supplement a new hive at the same time there is a nectar flow on, the bees will build bridge comb all in that cavity. Makes a mess.
    I havenít see the Ceracell type, so I donít know if they have that issue or not.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I've had ladder comb in the central chimney, but that's the only place I've had it. They built it to climb into the feeder.
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Only drawback is the poor fit of the feeder frame.
    I've only had that problem with the nuc feeder. The feeder trays tended to slide too much and would open up a channel for bees to get through. I think its made that way so that you can adapt it to split mating nuc. I solved that my routing a 3/32 deep x 3/8 rabbet for the tray to sit into. That's a 2mm x 9mm rebate for our readers in first world nations.
    Zone 6B

I've got a half dozen or so of these and some are brand new. I experienced problems with too much moisture in the hives that didn't take to them. The other issue is another step to get past during inspections. If anyone is interested and find yourself in my area. I'll let 'em go pretty reasonably.