Good source for #10 hardware cloth?

Default Good source for #10 hardware cloth?

Normally I've ordered such stuff online, but with all the panic going on I'd actually rather buy it locally if I can find somebody who sells such things. None of the big boxes seem to carry anything except #2 or #4, so I'm looking for another alternative. Any ideas out there? Not sure if Tractor Supply, or Ace, and any of those places carry the smaller hole patterns either. Anybody? The cheaper the better of course

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Good source for #10 hardware cloth?

Actually, I'm looking for #8, not sure why I started this post for #10... Sorry for confusion

It is rare to find #8 in a store. Best place to order it is McMaster-Carr. I bought some on eBay once and it was junk.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Thanks I'll have a look there

It hasn't been discussed for a while but used to hear lots of US users say their Ace Hardwares stocked it or could order.

Our Home Hardware only orders in the #8. by the 50 foot roll 3 ft wide. Last roll I bought near ruined a $100 Can. bill.
    Frank

If you have a locally owned hardware store close by they may have it. I walked into ours a couple weeks ago and asked for #8 hardware cloth and the clerk replied: "you must be a beekeeper". The local folks generally stock what the local folks buy, not what some fat cat in NY wants people to buy
    Dan

Some of the ace hardware have it

Actually I just thought of a place called "Family Farm and Home" that sells a bit of (overpriced IMHO) beekeeping equipment. I'll have to stop by there and have a look, hopefully it won't be priced as if it's gold plated though lol

Tru value hardware stores has it on the shelf around here.
    Rod

Must be a local thing. Neither Ace nor TV had it here, and the TV sells beekeeping equipment. The stuff I got on eBay was not galvanized or welded, so it both rusted and unraveled. I think I bought 20' for $35 from mcmaster.com last time I purchased it. Part number is 9217T43.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Thanks for the P/N via mcmaster, sounds like a good deal. I think last time I bought some via a source on Amazon, and it was like $30 for a 12 foot roll 36" wide... I like 20' for nearly the same price, especially if it's 48" so I can get 2-long out of a strip of roll. I like to think I am "frugal". My better half just says I'm "cheap"...

Not sure how you are using it. I buy the 36" wide material and cut it in half to 18" long for my screened bottom boards. I also use it for ventilated inner covers and robbing screens.
    I wear the "cheap" badge proudly!

McMaster Carr. Part number 9217T43

You can purchase it by the foot. Pay attention to the price breaks at certain quantities. Six feet of it will cost you less than five feet of it. There is also a price break at 20 ft. If you are buying 15 feet you may as well buy 20ft, you'll get five feet more for just 35 more.

Its less per foot than the 3x10 roll on Amazon and heavier wire gauge, but you will have to pay shipping.

The wire diameter is .017, which has 43% more cross section that the 27 gauge wire Amazon product. Every joint is welded.
    Zone 6B

I found it at a locally owned hardware store. Several clerks had no idea what I was talking about but asked the 'old guy' that every real hardware store has. Him and I went to their outbuilding and they had a huge roll that he cut per my request. "We don't sell much of this"

You may have more luck calling it 1/8" hardware cloth.

Man you guys had some awesome suggestions. After spending a few hours on the hunt and totally blowing the cost-to-benefit ratio of saving a few dollars, I ultimately opted for 1/8" galvanized from Jackson wire via Amazon. Is it not welded at each joint, but because it is galvanized after forming, the wires are stuck together pretty good. Apparently some have had poor experience with zinc completely filling the gaps, but for me in previous orders it has been fine. 36" x 10' long, $34.99 delivered (prime member).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking in the locations below, and several local stores, my experience was an assortment of disappointment. Only 1 local store carried any, and it was $6.99 per foot, no breaks for any specific lengths. The mcmaster stuff was I think like 30' the shortest you could get, but the total was higher than I wanted to pay. Turns out the BORG and Lowes have it available online only, but in over 100' rolls it's very expensive. So, after wavering all over I just went back to what I'd ordered before, and now I'll just have to be happy with it

Turns out that purchasing stuff like this is apparently also local like bee keeping, your results may very depending on your location!

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan_019 View Post
    The mcmaster stuff was I think like 30' the shortest you could get,
    Really? I bought 6' my first order to try it out before committing to a larger order. The first time I ordered it from them my initial order was 5' and it appeared to take the order fine, but just before my submit order click I realized I should get 6' because of the price break.
    Zone 6B

Weird, I wonder if there are regional order differences or something? I'll try again next time, and see how it goes
    USDA 6a, 8 frame equipment

Update... I received my order of 1/8" hardware cloth 36" x 10' from Jackson Wire, and it would be an understatement to say I was not satisfied. Several people had posted reviews on Amazon similar to what I will mention here, but since I ordered from them last year and got a good product, I figured it would be OK, but obviously I was wrong.

It seems that Jackson Wire must now be using a different supplier for this wire this year, with quality much worse. Wire routings wander all over the place instead of being straight, bigger and smaller gaps all over in the mesh, loads of excessive zinc gumming up the mesh, edges are excessively bound also with big gaps, and the sheet itself isn't even flat, quite bumpy. You can see the differences in the picture here. The "nicer" one is from the batch I got in 2019, and the crude stuff is from 2020. Due to the huge difference in quality and binding method, I have to assume that the new material came from a new supplier with lousy process and quality control. Considering the premium we pay for this size as it is, I was expecting a much better product. Judge for yourself, but buyer beware I guess.

Jackson Wire 3-2019.jpgJackson Wire 3-2020.jpg
    USDA 6a, 8 frame equipment

That hardware cloth looks terrible.

Good thing amazon returns are easy