What size jars of honey sell most?

Default What size jars of honey sell most?

Hi,
    My wife and I are planning to sell at farmer markets, church bazaars, etc. with our honey harvest this year. As we consider the different sizes of jars to purchase, can those of you who sell at similar places tell us what sizes sell best? 8oz, 12oz, 16oz, 24oz, 32oz?
    Thanks for your time in responding.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What size jars of honey sell most?

In my area, the pint mason jars (22 oz. net wt.) sell well. I charge $15. Jar and label cost about $1. Most of my sales are word of mouth so I do not do the farmer's market route as there are only so many hours in a day.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    In my area, the pint mason jars (22 oz. net wt.) sell well. I charge $15. Jar and label cost about $1. Most of my sales are word of mouth so I do not do the farmer's market route as there are only so many hours in a day.

Same here. I offer 1/2 pints $10, pints $15 and quarts $25. Pints sell the most. I sell out of my house with a self serve cabinet. I have been selling here for 47 years.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Word of mouth here also. I also don't sell much. I thought pints at $10 would sell the most but found quarts at $18 are actually more popular.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I sold 12 oz. bears $10, 16 oz. skips $15, pint jars for $20 and the quart jars for $35. The bears and skips sold the best. Then the pints, maybe 2-3 cases and about half a case of quarts. Don't forget the 2 oz. bears $2 were a favorite for those that are not sure. The wife gave them out a lot to friends, co-workers and doctors/nurses when she had appointments. It did help a little on the sales of the other sizes. You wont to think about honey sticks 25 cents each or 5 for $1 was a little help on off days.

Thanks for your replies. It is helpful having replies from a cross-section of the country.
    Do you find a preference for plastic or glass from your clients?

Those with kids preferred the plastic over glass. The rest did not care that much either way.

Quote Originally Posted by angels and bees View Post
    Thanks for your replies. It is helpful having replies from a cross-section of the country.
    Do you find a preference for plastic or glass from your clients?
    I sell raw honey so I naturally thought the buyers would prefer glass to plastic. Nope, every single person I asked preferred the squeezable plastic. I quit glass. I sell 1 1/2 and 2 lbs, $10 and $13 respectively. I may add 3 pounders this fall. My price is $6.00 a pound plus a buck for the container. I've found some folks are looking for the smallest container they can buy, others are looking for an even dollar amount. I sell through FB and local bazaars. The bottles I ship are generally larger purchased through PayPal, the face to face sales are either cash or square. Cash buyers like even numbers, cc buyers less so.

Lee
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

Squeezable plastic is better here as well. Seems like people prefer the simplicity of snap cap, easy portion control, and no spoon or dipper needed.

I like glass better than plastic.

Does anyone have a favorite place to order lb. or 1/2 lb. glass honey jars?

It depends on the market. Whole sale pints for me. Out of the house qts. At shows every thing from 8 oz jars to qts. I manly do glass. But when customers as for something you need to be able to supply it. A piece of knowledge that I learn a long time ago. Is that is learn to say yes. To their ?.like credit cards do you take them if yes you may have a sale. If no they can walk.