How to inspect with less protective gear - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How to inspect with less protective gear

Quote Originally Posted by zombeek View Post
    Used to always work my bees in shorts and flip flops.

Now I always use my jacket with a veil.
    Jacket and veil, yes, but do you still wear shorts and flip flops? If so then we might have seen you on Youtube.
    Zone 6B

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    I almost always wear a full suit with smoker, and feel no need to do less. Life is more pleasant when both I and the bees are calm.
    +1. I wear full gear to keep myself calm and that in turn keeps bees calm. I do not enjoy being stung and even in summer heat I prefer the discomfort of full suit to the discomfort of swollen hand, etc. I know people say that with time the body gets used to the venom, but the problem is I don't have that time for transition - I always need all parts of my body to be functional for various reasons. Maybe when I retire I will start bee sting therapy and get gradually used to the stings. Not now...

Can't be done with my bees where I am at!

Quote Originally Posted by jonsl View Post
    Only got stung 3 times last year so I usually don't have an issue. I have found if I work the bees like I'm doing Tai Chi then they stay calm.
    Being "in the moment" always has a positive result whenever working bees imo.

Tai Chi requires it and so does messing with bees. In fact, I can think of no better way to be in the moment than having our heads inside a colony of honeybees.

The less work intended the less protective gear I'll wear...within reason. I always wear a veil, because I don't like it when bees get between my eyes and glasses. I always wear a full suit whenever company is near.....as such distractions can remove us from "being in the moment" resulting in stings.....and whenever digging to the bottom of any colony....One never knows what to expect when opening a hive, but you'd better be thinking about the task at hand or the bees will know it. That's just one of the reasons why I love beekeeping, it keeps me in the NOW.

I live in the country, I prefer to blow through stop signs without looking. I am more comfortable tat way.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
    Can't be done with my bees where I am at!
    Neither can I.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    I live in the country, I prefer to blow through stop signs without looking. I am more comfortable tat way.
    Stop signs, we don't need no stinking stop signs! Out here where I live the young'ens call 'em targets.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

I think many people would have productivity issues with the dead slow methods. If you are going to go thru a number of hives close together the upset can be contagious. The issue of something a bit accidental happening or a total black swan event could get an unprotected person stung up beyond their bodies safe tolerance level. I know one keeper who accidentally dumped a deep of bee frames on the ground when he absentmindedly picked up a box wrong way which had been stood on its end....

We all have different responses to controlling risk. Some are rewarded by feeling they are on the safe side and some are energized by knowing they are taking a risk but getting away with it. I would personally say that would vary with me from day to day with the mood of the moment. Generally though I am not an adrenaline addict.
    Frank

Always use smoke ,always in a full suit and gloves.

I don’t mind the suit on hot days. The suit lets me work; carrying boxes, bending down, slight bumps in the boxes.

Gloves: leather. I’m a bass player so I can’t afford a sting on my hands or fingers.

I like the comfort factor and confidence the suit brings. I just do my thing.

My bees have been super calm, especially around my wife, who goes in with vail only.

I’m not that brave.
    Clark Westfied 1st year beekeeper
    Bass player

So just yesterday I dropped a deep off of the back of my truck. I happened when i lifted the top box (it was a double deep hive), and I somehow missed that the bottom one was propolised to the top one. So I lifted both without realizing, and the bottom one fell off after it was clear of the truck.

I was glad I was wearing a full suit.

It was not the first time I have dropped a box, I did it once before.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by jonsl View Post
    I don't know if I just have very calm bees but I have mostly inspected without any gear other that nitrile gloves for the past couple of years. I will occasionally throw on a veil when it is cloudy. They seem a bit antsy when the sun isn't shining.

What I started doing which seems to work is that I smoke myself head to toe before I open the hives. I will also give myself a smoke recharge as I work. Maybe this works because the bees can no longer smell me but it is working well. It is a pleasure to not have to wear the extra protection especially during summer heat.
    Fav beekeeper to watch is Scott Hendricks (Alaska beekeeper) on YouTube. He doesn't wear any protective gear. I personally don't advocate that but it's fun to watch someone that good. I especially like his use of cover cloths. I started using sack cloth kitchen towels and they work great.

It's always those times when - "oh I just need to pop the lid off and do something quick" that gets me. Then there's the "I have a bee in my long hair problem". Don't even get me started.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

Depends on how the bees are that day and how long you are in the hive. Some days the bees are really docile, but sometimes they are a bit testy. Even when they are amiable, if I have been in for over 15 minutes, I get the feeling they are saying "DUDE, finish it up!"

I ALWAYS wear face protection.

IF you don't wear gloves the bees are way nicer.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper 2nd yr 14 hives
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Use a smoker if you want less protection. Wear a veil at least is a good idea. Use your common sense if its grey and drizzly or overcast suit up. If full sun use less. Keep an eye out for skunk or other pest disturbances.

Quote Originally Posted by ifixoldhouses View Post
    IF you don't wear gloves the bees are way nicer.
    Is there an explanation to this behavior? Why would they be nicer to an intruder "wearing" a different skin?

Quote Originally Posted by dekster View Post
    Is there an explanation to this behavior? Why would they be nicer to an intruder "wearing" a different skin?
    I think it makes the beekeeper more cautious and perceptive, so less crushed bees. Likely nothing else.
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    I think it makes the beekeeper more cautious and perceptive, so less crushed bees. Likely nothing else.
    Ah, OK, in that case I would not see the difference- my bees always get crushed by accident, regardless if I'm wearing gloves or not- there are just too many of them and they propolize everything so thoroughly that all frames become one solid block- getting them separated always results in casualties, there simply is no slack space anywhere. I'm always amazed at the video's of other beekeepers easily removing frames or sliding them around- not a chance with my bees, there is no such thing as an individual frame to them...

I always fully suit up and almost always smoke the bees. I want to be able to move through my hives quickly, which, being fully protected allows me to do. And also you never know when an accident might happen or a hive turned pissy. I hardly ever squish a bee, either. Personally, I have never equated working without protection as somehow being a better bee keeper. In fact, I think the opposite is true.

--shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Salty, I presume you are being tongue and check, I lost a couple good friends that way 1 in Highschool and 2 in College. Unknow to me some of the locals did not stop, or were playing chicken. Until a few of them were gone then they started stopping. Ironically each were hit and killed by a friend, was a small town. the dead persons life ended the live person blamed them self so 2 lives messed up per smash.

Scary thing is it could have been me. both times I was thru that intersection 15 min prior to the crash

GG

Hey shinbone, you got bees in those boxes, or did you stack up all your extra supers to make the rest of us jealous?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast