Driving with bees - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Driving with bees

This past Saturday I performed a swarm removal about 20 miles from my home. I collected them in a nuc that had a screwed on screened bottom board and screwed on robber screen with a small opening that I carefully taped up. Strapped down the lid and off I went. Started noticing bees in the windows about the time I hit the highway. Was not worried and had no need to be. Got home home and realized I had forgotten to tape up the hole in the back of the hive where I insert the discharge tube for the ProVap. Driving with bees is not a problem unless a hive tips over
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I've done this plenty of times. Some packages have a few hobo's. Some have lots. On a cold day they just hang tight to the outside of the package. Inside the truck, they warm up and I always have a handful buzzing around when I get home. Once, I stopped at the hardware store to buy some stuff before I got home to hive the packages. Got talking with the owner. Sun was on the truck. Packages in the back seat. By the time I got out to the parking lot there were 20 or so bees flying around inside the cab. One poor lady was standing outside the door of my truck looking in. As I walked up she said..."Ummmm..you have bees....". I said "Yup", opened the door, got in and drove off. I'll never forget the expression on her face. I bet she stood there for a few minutes trying to figure it all out....
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    Hey, everyone,

I'm going to be picking up a package of bees on Saturday morning, and was seeking advice about driving with bees!

Looks like rain, so simply having the box in the truck bed probably not a good idea.

You know, dealing with the loose bee(s) in the car cabin.

Regards,
    Thomas
    Done it several times 3-5 hours.
    Keep the AC on at a temp you can tolerate but cool 65ish will cause less movement and more tendency to cluster. wear a jacket if you are easily chilled
    If possible set them on the floor, or against the back of a seat with a duffel behind them, you may need to slam on the brakes for a deer or something , rolling the package would be ill advised
    do not block the sides for air flow
    I take a few Swisher sweets, smoke will calm them and you if they start to roar
    drive like you really do not want to get in a wreck
    do not stop for lunch at a restaurant, car temps can fluctuate a lot for parked cars, pack a lunch if the distance demands you eat.
    I would not put them in the back of a truck, you can get Exhaust to do funny things. A neighbor of mine went out west to Hunt cougar, had his 4 best dogs in the back in little built in boxes like you see on the road. when he got to Montana all were dead from Exhaust, was a tail wind and a area behind the truck with no Oxygen
    Loose bees would generally not sting and they have no hive to protect, ya they will be on the window, do examine the box prior to leaving the pick up spot for holes the bees can get out from, I have never seen a package leaking bees but it could happen.
    If your truck is a bumpy riding truck or you have lots of bumpy roads consider taking a piece of sponge or folded blanket to set them on.
    If placed on truck floor try not to blast them with Hot or cold Air, low speed for the fan.

Other than that easy peasy. Ideally get your hive ready prior and just put them in when you arrive.
    And did I say drive safe ...
    GG

I made it!
    there were a few stragglers on the outside. A little bit of dance to try to get them off, and get the box in the back before they got back on.
    No problems, install went great, and they are bringing in pollen already!
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

I made it!
    There were a few stragglers. It was a bit of a dance to shoo them away while putting the box in the back, but I succeeded.
    install went well and they are already bringing in pollen!
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12