Fly Back Splits - Video

Default Fly Back Splits - Video

I recently did about 20 Fly Back Splits and decided to make a video out of one of them.

https://youtu.be/J0s9utmGbjc

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Fly Back Splits - Video

Very cool thanks

psm
    Thanks for posting. My weakness in the fly back is always finding the queen.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    psm
    Cheers
    gww
    I have accomplished very much the same result using the Taranov Maneuver. I have a hard time finding Carni queens once the population is up. There is one drawback in shaking off frames if they have queen cells you want to keep viable.

Edit; Whoops! brain fart. Taranov puts the queen with the young bees not with the foragers as in the fly away split. It works as a split but different implications.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crofter; 03-18-2020 at 03:34 PM.
    Frank

frank
    Those can be messed up too. Ask me how I know?

I lost the queen in this one and the hive that I put the split on over a double screen board (also the hive I shook) still swarmed later. I did notice no queen and put a queen cell in a few days later when I saw no laying and it turned into a good split plus swarms being hived and so about four hives from one even when screwing up.

I would rather be lucky then good.

My one fly back did really good to even though I was not sure of the queen and where she was cause the hive had queen cells in it. It may have already swarmed or not and I just made sure that both sides had a queen cell and so in my fly back, one comb (in the old bee side) did have capped brood and a queen cell. I also did not feed the old bee side but did give a couple of gal to the young side even though they had stores cause I was worried about if they did have to mate a queen and grow some brood with out having foragers. The old side drew comb fast even with out feed due to the flow being on. I would have faith that the old bee side would do well enough to make winter size with out feed if made during early flow/swarm time. They seemed to draw comb really fast even with out feeding.
    Cheers
    gww

Ps frank You are separating the bees by age with both types of splits and I did it hoping this fact would keep bees from swarming due to the changing of hive dynamics. Didn't work that well for me for swarm control but I think I know my mistakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gww; 03-18-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    I recently did about 20 Fly Back Splits and decided to make a video out of one of them.

https://youtu.be/J0s9utmGbjc
    Nice video, psm1212. You did a great job explaining the process and your rationale.
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

I enjoyed the video, psm1212. One question; how did you requeen the old hive?

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    psm
    Cheers
    gww
    Palmer Shaker Box. I probably have to use it 1 in 4 hives this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Nice video, psm1212. You did a great job explaining the process and your rationale.

Thank you. Sorry for the wind noise and all of the movement. I had my wife talked into shooting it with me. She got stung shortly after she got out of the truck, so I had to take her home and shoot by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey-hill-bees View Post
    I enjoyed the video, psm1212. One question; how did you requeen the old hive?
    This year, I let them requeen themselves. One week after the split, I pulled all frames with queen cells except for one, and put them in mating nucs and queen castles.

Last year, I timed a starter/finisher and grafted queen cells for the parent hives and additional nucs I made up. You time the cells to be ready for one week after the split. You go in and tear down ALL of the emergency cells and leave a grafted cell in place. Takes a lot of timing and work.

The other thing I did not talk about in the video was doing an OAV treatment of the parent hive 21 days after the split. The parent hive (and any nucs you have made out of them) should be broodless at this time. I am in the process of treating all of them with OAV now.

Very informative and easy to understand vid. Thanks. J

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    I had my wife talked into shooting it with me. She got stung shortly after she got out of the truck, so I had to take her home and shoot by myself.
    I can identify with this- I talked my wife into helping me move a trap-out last year. Exactly two bees were on the outside of the hive set-up after I buttoned it up, and exactly one of them happened to sting my wife- so she now graciously sends her regrets anytime I invite her on a date that involves tangential beekeeping activities.
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Last edited by blamb61; 03-28-2020 at 08:34 PM.