Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: A sign of the times

A message from the Italians for us:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/Video/watc...eoformat=flash

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

While at it, read what is being ignored - as if this (totally different) issue will never happened.
    NOT about the virus but no less significant and potentially more deadly.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Local small town grocery stores are a bit thin on some products but not bad. Plenty to go around except TP.

I have been called into work to get special training on isolation techniques. I signed up to care for corona patients (nurse). So far we have had one confirmed at the hospital I work in. I expect a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    Local small town grocery stores are a bit thin on some products but not bad. Plenty to go around except TP.

I have been called into work to get special training on isolation techniques. I signed up to care for corona patients (nurse). So far we have had one confirmed at the hospital I work in. I expect a lot more.
    Wish you and yours well. Thanks
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    I have been called into work to get special training on isolation techniques.
    My wife is the site director at our local hospital, so she is the one responsible for making sure the hospital is ready for the patient influx. In theory everybody knows how to don and doff the ppe (Personal Protection Equipment). In practise very few folks actually do it correctly. Most of the deaths of health care workers in China revolved around incorrect procedures with the personal gear. Our hospital has been running 'refresher' sessions to make sure everybody is properly prepared for correctly donning and doffing the ppe.

My wife was given the option of working directly with patients that had Covid-19. She had to sign a paper stating that she was comfortable doing so. She did. At some point I expect that she and I will both catch it. Looking forward to some much needed R&R. Too bad I will feel like crud during that time.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    My wife is the site director at our local hospital, so she is the one responsible for making sure the hospital is ready for the patient influx. In theory everybody knows how to don and doff the ppe (Personal Protection Equipment). In practise very few folks actually do it correctly. Most of the deaths of health care workers in China revolved around incorrect procedures with the personal gear. Our hospital has been running 'refresher' sessions to make sure everybody is properly prepared for correctly donning and doffing the ppe.
    Most of us are pretty slack on PPE, sadly. Since this started I have become much more diligent. In the last 4 years I only had to go full iso once, on a tuberculosis patient, gown, bunny suit, booties, pressure helmet etc. So the new training was a useful refresher. Not looking forward to wearing the pressure helmet for an entire 12-hour shift!

Serious and shocking shortage of basic PPE, masks and gowns. It's gonna be a huge problem next week when the big wave starts here. My understanding is that the Chinese problem wasn't a lack of PPE technique so much as that nurses had only one set for an entire shift. No stock so they just kept wearing the same filthy masks.

I think the diarrhea issue is more related to any over the counter meds you may take if you have a cold, flu, whatever. I'm very sensitive to those and unless I'm really ill, I don't take them at all. Once I take something for a cough or congestion, I need my toilet paper.

This year (and it was a lousy season) I tried a small reverse osmosis system for my maple sap. It occurred to me last weekend that every run I put through the system gives me one half concentrated sap and the other half percolate water. Voila....I have water from trees. Now...if I only had time to leverage that during this crisis I'd be rich(er).

Finally, the tough news. My grandson is half Filipino. He was bullied badly in daycare yesterday because he was "Chinese" and he should take the virus and go back to where he came from. And, one of the mothers picking up her kid complained to the site coordinator that he shouldn't be allowed to bring the "china" virus into daycare.

Another sign of the times. I guess that will help him be inoculated against things like that.

By the way, the percolate water from the sap was pretty good!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    ....he shouldn't be allowed to bring the "china" virus into daycare. ...
    We all know where that comes from.

"Chinese virus".
    President D. Trump
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...85852093169664

Why do I care?
    Because one day he will demonize my own origins too.
    A matter of time only.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Well, I didn't mean it to be political so much as a bias that springs out of times like this. It does make it hard. I meant it as a "sign of the times" as in one of those things that come up when people deal with a crisis and react in certain ways. It was similar when we dealt with H1N1.

The embers are always there. Some choose not to blow on them.

I will never understand how anyone can be cruel to kids. These same types will expect mercy for themselves and wreak havoc while seeking it.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

As of yesterday Maine had 31. Two also had the flu. Somebody was not following the guidelines that you have to prove you do not have the flu before allowing to test for covid. Good for them.

Well, I didn't mean it to be political so much as a bias that springs out of times like this.
    I didn't take it as a political statement. Yet...someone always seems compelled to insert their political opinion into otherwise civil discussions. Also...a sign of the times.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Alright guys . . . is it time to gather on our balconies and sing to one another?

God I hope not.

I can't sing but I appreciate someone who can. Hey, singing can't hurt!

Hey, singing can't hurt!
    Clearly, you have not heard me sing. Imagine a cow stuck in a barb wire fence, bellowing her head off.

Regarding the daycare, I hope the director told the woman complaining to take her ignorant bigoted behind, and her brat, to another daycare center.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 03-18-2020 at 01:58 PM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Finally, the tough news. My grandson is half Filipino. He was bullied badly in daycare yesterday because he was "Chinese" and he should take the virus and go back to where he came from. And, one of the mothers picking up her kid complained to the site coordinator that he shouldn't be allowed to bring the "china" virus into daycare.

Another sign of the times. I guess that will help him be inoculated against things like that.
    Not a sign of our times at all. Just a sign of stupidity, bigotry and racism. That crap has been here forever. I wish there was a virus that could kill such things off.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    Not a sign of our times at all. Just a sign of stupidity, bigotry and racism. That crap has been here forever. I wish there was a virus that could kill such things off.
    Those responses dont seem to serve the common good today, do they? Obsolete instincts maybe from deep in the reptilian and mammalian portions of our grey matter.

We have some very tribalistic and animal behavior beneath the thin veneer of civilization. Doesn't take much friction to expose it.
    Frank

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast