A sign of the times - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: A sign of the times

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Jim, maybe I am just a little twisted, but there is a voice inside my head screaming that the whole TP thing is a construct of someone who bet another $1 (a la "Trading Places") that he could create a run on an item conpletely unrelated to the Covid-19 virus itself. After all, it is a respiratory virus, not a gastrointestinal one. Somewhere, someone is laughing their head off at the sight of empty shelves where the lowly rolls of TP once sat.
    Actually, diarrhea is a symptom for some people.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Can you provide a source for that? If it is a symptom, even in only some people, it is not listed as such in either the CDC or the WHO websites. Diarrhea is a side effect of someone taking antibiotics, which of course have no affect on viruses. In fact, excessive use of antibiotics can cause C-diff, which might make Covid -19 seem like a walk in the park.

Clostridioides difficile (also known as C. diff) is a bacterium that causes diarrhea and colitis (an inflammation of the colon).

It’s estimated to cause almost half a million illnesses in the United States each year.

About 1 in 5 patients who get C. diff will get it again.

Within a month of diagnosis, 1 in 11 people over age 65 died of a healthcare-associated C. diff infection.
    Source:
    https://www.cdc.gov › cdiff › what-is
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 03-15-2020 at 06:49 PM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    I cannot understand hoarding the bottled water. The water from the tap is perfectly fine in my area. Is the virus going to turn off the municipal water system too?
    Around here where I live it seems that everybody thinks this is the beginning of the pocky-lipse, that there is more fit coming to the shan. Tons of the people are already stocked preppers, but they have just doubled down on prepping.
    Zone 6B

I wonder if the water things is a side effect of most disasters messing up water supplies. Hurricanes and major storms often take out electricity and the water that need electricity for delivery.

I have lots of sugar, including several boxes of capped sugar syrup in the basement. The grocery stores in our area are mostly getting cleaned out of shelf stable food, but that may change in a few weeks. It sounds like the grocery store situation it is worse in the larger ubran area's than in the more rural area that I am in. I typically have enough food around for a few weeks. I keep food around because I have seen blizzards shut down the stuff enough that people could not easily get to grocery stores for several days/a week.

I cannot understand hoarding the bottled water. The water from the tap is perfectly fine in my area. Is the virus going to turn off the municipal water system too?
    well it shut off the TP supply, it shut off my income, It shut off my kids school, it shut off my daycare.... even if I got a call to go work, I cant go.
    Some food is left on the shelfs.. we will see what next week brings

what if the filter plant workers cant go fix a break down cause the is no daycare and no on at home to suprevize the kids while they do virtural school work? or they can't get meds and there kids are sick and they have other priority, or the next panic is over gas and its all gone and they cant get to work. Heck just wait till an ethnic minority goes fishing in the middle of this and some one freaks and makes a FB post

the problem is not the virus, its the domino effect from panic causing a demand surge that exceeds the supply chain, then full on black Friday to the nth.. we see what people do to "save money" on a sale , wait till they feel the heath and safety of their family is on the the line.
    "oh well, let us stick to science. let them have their beliefs and intuitions!" -Medhat Nasr

When I was a youngster and a neighborhood kid came down with one of the childhood plagues….measles, mumps or chicken pox....any other kid who hadn’t had that particular disease was sent to visit the infected one. We were encouraged to get it while we were young. All the older folks had immunity from their childhood. I wonder how devastating one of those would be for susceptible older people. I may be wrong but I bet every bit as bad, if not worse than Corona.
    It is too bad that there isn’t some way to allow the kids to get it. Evidently they don’t get very ill. I wonder if our thinking isn’t backwards on this. Rather than sending all the kids home….maybe just sequester all the old folks.

I guess….as the subject of the thread says…a sign of the times.
    Last edited by beemandan; 03-16-2020 at 06:23 AM.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    It is too bad that there isn’t some way to allow the kids to get it. Evidently they don’t get very ill. I wonder if our thinking isn’t backwards on this. Rather than sending all the kids home….maybe just sequester all the old folks.
    I am not a doctor but:
    1- I do not think letting children get coronavirus will build up immunity to the virus.
    2- The primary goal today is to contain the virus. Letting children get coronavirus will simply spread the disease to other people, especially family members.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
    I am not a doctor but:
    1- I do not think letting children get coronavirus will build up immunity to the virus.
    2- The primary goal today is to contain the virus. Letting children get coronavirus will simply spread the disease to other people, especially family members.
    I’m not a doctor but

1. I think that letting children get Corona virus WILL build up their immunity to it. I keep hearing from some in the medical community refer to ‘herd immunity’….the point at which around 60 percent of the population has had the disease and because of that immunity the disease becomes more manageable.
    2. I understand the attempt to ‘contain’ the virus so that the healthcare system doesn’t get overwhelmed. The entire point is that the elderly and people with physical challenges are the ones who will need hospitalization. Therefore….I am only wondering if that population should be under quarantine instead of everybody.

I might also add that the Brits seem to be taking the approach I’m referring to. I suspect that before it is all done they will be forced by public pressure to change to the conventional approach.
    I am not advocating either. I am simply wondering if we may not be taking the best path.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Dan, your last post, sort of, suggested a 'hands off' approach to this virus. Being an avid reader of your posts, I'm wondering if you could be on the verge of suggesting a run at treatment free beekeeping?

I'm with you Beemandan. Our kids are no longer allowed to go outside and play or get dirty. They don't build up their immune systems because their homes are super clean with purified air cleaners and no pets are allowed! We as a society are so far removed from how our grandparents had lived. Just imagine living with tb, whooping cough, measles and on and on.

Dan, you are singing songs from my hymn book. As a society we are far to clean and our children and young adults are now susceptible to any one of numerous diseases to which we are probably immune. Just look at the number of folks with debilitating allergies. Perhaps if they had been exposed as young children, they would not be suffering now. We used to play outside ALL DAY LONG. Now, it takes an act of Congress to get a kid to put away the video games. Crab414, I am echoing yoir sentiments.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

My personal speculations; There is a A or B virus type, mild or severe. Or there is an A or B type individual.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

I would also say we are not taking the right path on this. At 63, I am in one of the "vulnerable" age groups. But I am not sequestering myself. I am washing my hands more than usual but refuse to live like a prisoner. Building up a strong immune system is one of the keys to good health. Exposure to bacteria and viruses is the way to keep it strong.

The politicians can give the best advice science and other advisors can give but it is up to you to decide what you will do with your life. Since I am in good health, with no known health issues, I am not worried about what will happen if I catch the disease. Think about what the politicians have to go through. Tell people to expose themselves to the disease to build up immunity and as soon as one child dies from it, that politician will forever be known as "The baby killer". They are in a no win situation.

I’m not really advocating anything. Certainly not a hands off approach. If we use northern Italy as an example of hands off…it has been a healthcare disaster. The hospitals have been overrun. Doctors and nurses are out sick. Not enough equipment. They have had to turn people in dire need away. Their fatality rate is running over 3%....thirty times higher than ordinary flu.
    There aren’t any easy solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I think I need to pack up the car and head for Nebraska. Those of you that are Stephen King fans will know the reference. Maybe I can find some TP on the way.
    If you find an old woman in a corn field that has visions, please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    Since I am in good health, with no known health issues, I am not worried about what will happen if I catch the disease.
    And what about the folks you pass it on to? Or is that a case of 'not my problem ' ?

Grozzie2, that is a bit unfair. If dudelt was more worried about the health risk to his ownself, would that put those he is in close contact with less at risk? The risk is the same, it is about how we choose to go about our lives. I personally refuse to live in fear, but I am going to take reasonable precautions all the same. Locking one's self in a box with a month's supply of toilet paper just does not sound reasonable to me.

Personal choice is the key. If consumers would eat real food, not processed and take their health seriously, maybe these bugs wouldn't be so pervasive. How about our health care system that is governed by greed and not for the good of the patients? What if along with modern medicine we also used more holistic approaches and have real food be cheaper than processed food. Sorry for going on for so long, but as I see it every time we take the easy way out in life there are hidden costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    My personal speculations; There is a A or B virus type, mild or severe. Or there is an A or B type individual.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

This article has some good graphics and explanations comparing different options for dealing with covid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/

Without any sort of action we are going to end up with a huge spike/peak of cases and I think that is what is going on in Italy right now. If we can slow down the spread it is more manageable because we (as a population) will not overload the medical infrastructure all at once. I don't think we can contain it, but the best thing we can do is slow it down and go from a spike to a plateau type curve.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast