A sign of the times - Page 12
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Default Re: A sign of the times

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    Just wait a couple more weeks. BTW, swarming season is on - we are being flooded with NY cars, like it was summertime. Now, I'll never be able to find toilet paper or a ventilator.
    it's just as bad in upstate ny, maybe we should all head to NYC and practice squatters rights on some nice places.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I am not sure why Gov. Cuomo is threatening RI wth a lawsuit.
    because his budget is 5 Billion in the red b/4 this all started.
    mike syracuse ny

people using latex gloves also need to think ahead, I had to go to the doc office the other day, they have you call in from the parking lot, they call you back when it's ok to enter. the car next to me, the guy comes out of the doc office with his latex gloves on protecting him, reaches in his pocket, pulls out his keys, opens his door, starts the car, puts his hands on the steering wheel, then takes the gloves off and throws them on the seat beside him. the proceeds to put his bare hands on the steering wheel, and I'm sure when he gets safely home removes the key and puts them in the same pocket. I learned my lesson years ago, using the gloves putting chemicals in my hives and after every hive putting the hive tool in my right rear pocket, after a while I was jumping up and down trying to put the extreme warmth that was coming from my pocket
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    I have a friend that said he was going to fake coughing in stores to keep everyone else away from him. I am not sure if he actually did this.
    Maybe he can join this one for some more good times.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/penns...oceries-tossed

Copied from link: After the incident, Hanover police said in a news release that Cirko was undergoing a mental health evaluation at a local hospital. Police added they were working on getting her tested for COVID-19.

I would say the determination of the evaluation is now decided.

Alex
    Last edited by AHudd; 03-29-2020 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Added text from story
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

I dont know if this one is a sign of the times, or just business as usual.

https://gizmodo.com/teen-who-died-of...use-1842520539

This young man's death is tragic, as is the untimely death of any person. The reporting on the story is pure garbage. There is no indication that the young man would have survived had the clinic agreed to see him, there is no traetment they can provide. In fact, about the only thing an urgent care clinic can do is test and send a person to the ER if they are symptomatic. The CDC would not call this a Covid death because it was not a repiratory failure. A heart attack due to sepsis is entirely different. Then, we get the little bit about authoritarian governments under reporting Covid-19 deaths. Just love the segue.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Urgent care and emergency care here are two entirely different things. Urgent care clinics take non emergency patients without an appointment. Either weekends, after hours or people who donít have a primary care physician.
    When I read these things I understand why a family in mourning would want to redirect blame. After all, they now realize that if they hadnít waited until the eleventh hour to do anything or they chose not to call an ambulance which might been equipped to handle the problem.
    I donít know who Gizmodo isÖbut I think I would look elsewhere for my news.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Here is another take on this tragedy. In fact this appears to be the original source. The reporter at Gizmodo appears to have added the paragraph, for no apparent relevant reason, to somehow bring the President into the story to convict him of Guilt by Association.

https://nbcpalmsprings.com/2020/03/2...ing-treatment/

The paragraph in the Gizmodo story that includes the quotes from the President should be read carefully.
    The Presidents quote is in the present tense, "don't need" as opposed to the writer's statement is in the future tense, "will need", is an example of deceptive reporting. While both statements are factually correct separately, taken together, they are meant to deceive.
    I think omission is probably the most common form of deception. I guess that is why when sworn in we are told to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
    Someone once said, "There are lies and there are d... lies".
    Additionally, the Urgent Care facility is probably privately owned and not required to treat the uninsured, but the family may not have known this.
    The story did report he was fine on the Friday before he died, but says nothing of the day he became ill. He may have gotten ill Saturday and didn't seek treatment until Thursday. Why leave out such an important piece of information?
    There are many more instances of deception in this story. I'll go out on a limb here and say what I really think this story is about. I think this is a story by the complicit media to soften up the good hearted people of this country into granting medicaid for illegal immigrants.

"Sigh"
    Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

I have not read that and I live in coastal RI. The governor has asked the NY'ers coming in, many own summer homes along the coastal areas, to quarantine themselves for 14 days. I believe that is simply being smart. Our infection counts are apparently low but growing. The university has shut down so a lot of people also left the state. Infected people seem to be fairly evenly distributed around the state. But it is time for the Snowbirds to be coming back.

I am not sure why Gov. Cuomo is threatening RI wth a lawsuit.
    Here is the article about the RI Governor:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ntine-n1171106

This appears legit. Florida is going to crack down on people traveling from the NY city area.

https://www.facebook.com/NassauEM/po...52414278142558
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    people using latex gloves also need to think ahead, I had to go to the doc office the other day, they have you call in from the parking lot, they call you back when it's ok to enter. the car next to me, the guy comes out of the doc office with his latex gloves on protecting him, reaches in his pocket, pulls out his keys, opens his door, starts the car, puts his hands on the steering wheel, then takes the gloves off and throws them on the seat beside him. the proceeds to put his bare hands on the steering wheel, and I'm sure when he gets safely home removes the key and puts them in the same pocket. I learned my lesson years ago, using the gloves putting chemicals in my hives and after every hive putting the hive tool in my right rear pocket, after a while I was jumping up and down trying to put the extreme warmth that was coming from my pocket
    Not touching anything that you dont want contaminated is a a hard principal for most people to get used to. Depending on the person wearing gloves may give them a false sense of security, or it may make them more conscious of what they are actually touching.

The method that I am using right now when I go out is keeping Clorox wipes in my passenger seat of my car. Once I get out of my car, my keys, credit card, ect go into the cargo pockets of cargo pants (I usually do not use these pockets) and I consider items in these contaminated. When I go back to my car I open my passenger door, take out a clorox wipe, and wipe everything in my cargo pockets down (including hands) before putting it back in its normal place or using it. Depending on how soon I need what I bought it also gets wiped down or left in the car for a week (coronaviris survives on most surfaces a few days).

I am sure there are flaws with this method, but it is better than nothing and it is mostly keeping stuff clean and isolated. I am also very much trying not to touch my face when I am out.

What gloves do a good job of is keeping you from touching your face. Seeing that blue thing coming at you is usually enough cause for pause ( or paws off!) They can easily cause complacency. My wife is close to first line exposure and is trying to educate me! Transmitting the lectures from work!
    Frank

Have a sister in law and her husband who have tested positive and another brother in law with pneumonia who has been tested but no results yet. I'm guessing he will be positive based on his symptoms.

If you live in a state that is not a hot spot yet you should probably start preparing to be hit sooner rather than later. I think Florida will be hit hard because they haven't been pushing social distancing.

Stay well everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jonsl View Post
    If you live in a state that is not a hot spot yet you should probably start preparing to be hit sooner rather than later. I think Florida will be hit hard because they haven't been pushing social distancing.
    Stay well everyone.
    This.
    It is hard for people to understand how bad it is. I have been out of the house a few times to get Bee stuff- HD and Harbor Freight, grocery
    When you drive down the road and it's empty or HD or Lowes and see only 1/8th of the people that normally are there you think " Gee it isn't so bad, I don't see people laying on the floor or everyone coughing"
    I am Glad I do NOT work in the ER anymore and completely got out of health care. I KNOW how bad it is in the ER when we have a Mass Casualty situation.... this is 1,000 X worse then a train wreck or multi-car pile up. This is like 10 earthquakes and digging to find people. Not to mention, do you have Any idea how scared the people who work at Hospitals are right now for their health and THEIR families ? Very.

The people in 'less active' states are the states that are not testing much and have not been hit hard YET because they don't have the activity of people like NY has.
    RI I think will be hit hard soon because of all the 'Out of staters' that are coming in, same with Cape Cod or anywhere else that people have 'summer homes'.

BTW, I have a ton of 91% Alcohol here because of another biz I do. I spray ALL of me when I get out of a store, not just the gloved hands, all of my.
    DON'T for get the bottom of your SHOES ! Spray those too or you are just tracking it in your house
    -Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger19687 View Post
    This.

I am Glad I do NOT work in the ER anymore and completely got out of health care. I KNOW how bad it is in the ER when we have a Mass Casualty situation.... this is 1,000 X worse then a train wreck or multi-car pile up....

DON'T for get the bottom of your SHOES ! Spray those too or you are just tracking it in your house
    I work the covid unit at the hospital. All my clothing goes into a bucket of detergent in the garage and the shoes stay in the garage.
    By the way, with all the restrictions on what hospitals will treat right now, no minor surgeries, and no routine procedures, the hospital is very quite and our patient volume is way down.

Pray it stays that way AR.
    Some hospitals nearby have had to construct huge 4077 mash like tents in their parking lots to meet the mandate to increase hospital capacity by 50% as directed by the Governor. A sobering sight.
    By increasing the capacity the hospital staff has been stretched beyond belief and is pooped. Thankfully some medical staff from outside the area has arrived to offer some relief. They are here on their own accord to help and give a break to overworked med workers at all levels of care.
    A summer time only vacation RV campsite has decided to open and offer their property to house the volunteer workers. It's pretty full of RV's, not a open field behind a fence like it would be about now. I have no idea where the RV's have come from, whether they drove or towed them here, they are rented or loaned.
    Still some knuckleheads driving recklessly on the roads that piss me off pretty good given the circumstances.
    Take good care of yourself.

I (and the family) have so far been able to avoid infection.

I am a firm believer in karma. Today my wife advised me that a friend or her who is mostly an invalid due to weight and obesity related issue had run out of TP. I told her not to give her any of our limited supply. While standing at the checkout line of our local Food Lion, they brought out a pallet of Angle Soft. Limit one package per customer. I took this as a sign. We will be bringing her friend four jumbo rolls tomorrow.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    While standing at the checkout line of our local Food Lion, they brought out a pallet of Angle Soft. Limit one package per customer.
    I am confident that before this mess is over there will be a glut of tp, n95 masks and ventilators. Here, there is already a glut of bottled water. I am not being critical but just looking at the massive manufacturing buildup for products should only have an equally massive demand for a limited period of time.

No rye flour anywhere on the Internet (spent 30 minutes searching).
    Or extremely expensive shipping.
    The brick-and-mortar places don't have it.

Guess everyone is baking at home.

I am baking our bread here twice a week and this is a bummer.
    If anyone sees Hodgson Mill stone-ground rye flour online someplace - give me a holler!

Saw gas for $1.59 another day.
    Too bad - not really driving anymore.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    No rye flour anywhere on the Internet (spent 30 minutes searching).
    Or extremely expensive shipping.
    The brick-and-mortar places don't have it.

Guess everyone is baking at home.

I am baking our bread here twice a week and this is a bummer.
    If anyone sees Hodgson Mill stone-ground rye flour online someplace - give me a holler!

Saw gas for $1.59 another day.
    Too bad - not really driving anymore.
    Hi Greg, I would have thought you had your own Mill.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrVlaTpVKbY

Also a good barter item I have a couple family members with the red one, they grind others grain for 15%

I have ground Corn, White Beans, Lima Beans, Wheat, Kidney beans, in the cupboard.
    Add the corn to pancakes, and the bean to stews and soups.

Nice toy to have.

GG

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast