A sign of the times - Page 6
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: A sign of the times

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    I gladly got into line for the Polio shot! And I do not remember any paper work - was it an air gun injection? Back in the early 50's?
    No air guns when I got my polio shot. Actually…reusable syringes. Of course I wasn’t old enough to decide whether or not to get the shot. The whole idea of a vaccination at that time was pretty new. Our parents had absolute trust in the system. And certainly regarding polio that trust was well placed.
    Today there is talk about temporarily removing a lot of the fda’s ‘red tape’ to speed up the approval of a vaccine. Let us not forget Thalidomide. The fda’s ‘red tape’ saved many an American from an unimaginable lifelong birth defect. On the other hand across Europe those same things were all too common.
    No…I’ll get my corona vaccination if I haven’t already developed immunity by a natural process. But…I won’t be at the front of the line.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Big Grin Re: A sign of the times

yea verily - my granddaughter is doing my grocery shopping for me and I told her no matter how many stores she had to go to - bring home the Maxwell House.

If we are starving, the TP will no longer be necessary. In all seriousness, is there any reason not to expect sugar to come back?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    So Greg Which country can handle 50-70% of the population getting very Sick, Pandemic? ....
    GG
    Basically I am really tired of the US politicians spreading the propaganda of the "best in the world healthcare".

Best in the World healthcare - for the rich (such as NBA players and the celebrities who magically get tested on the spot and immediatelly).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by jonsl View Post
    I don't think of this as a political statement. What is the role of the POTUS? It ain't that.
    Sure it was political statement (just as it was a "democratic hoax" a week before that).
    The context is obvious, plain and simple.
    POTUS give himself 10/10 for everything and anything, and looks for scapegoats for the blame (the Chinese in this case).

Long ago I worked as a warehouse worker and one supervisor always called me "Boris" (as a reference to my accent back then and some notorious cartoon).
    I was too afraid to speak up and put up with it.
    I should have reported it (everyone knew too) - but was afraid of the possible outcomes.

I am still worked up about it now and then, when remember.
    If I see people treated like this now days I will call it out immediately.
    No more patience.
    No more fear.
    Last edited by GregV; 03-19-2020 at 09:35 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

The answer to the TP shortage is that when one person sneezes everyone around him craps in his pants!

Sold Out Re: A sign of the times

Pics from our local supermarket last week:

meat
    20200314_213825.jpg

eggs
    20200312_193641.jpg

frozen vegies
    20200312_194128.jpg

potatoes
    20200312_195646.jpg20200312_195646.jpg

bananas
    20200312_195637.jpg

There were others but there's a 5 picture limit. You already know what the TP aisle looked like. I ended up buying a little more than normal out of self defense but only coffee and tea. Gotta have the caffeine to make it through.

jonsl
    I don't know about the tea but I always buy coffee in bulk out of fear of running out, pandemic or no. I don't understand stocking up on bananas though. What, a shelf life of 4 days?
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    jonsl
    I don't know about the tea but I always buy coffee in bulk out of fear of running out, pandemic or no. I don't understand stocking up on bananas though. What, a shelf life of 4 days?
    Cheers
    gww
    Maybe they're making a bunch of banana bread. Who knows. People do some crazy things when they panic.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Sure it was political statement (just as it was a "democratic hoax" a week before that).
    The context is obvious, plain and simple.
    POTUS give himself 10/10 for everything and anything, and looks for scapegoats for the blame (the Chinese in this case).

Long ago I worked as a warehouse worker and one supervisor always called me "Boris" (as a reference to my accent back then and some notorious cartoon).
    I was too afraid to speak up and put up with it.
    I should have reported it (everyone knew too) - but was afraid of the possible outcomes.

I am still worked up about it now and then, when remember.
    If I see people treated like this now days I will call it out immediately.
    No more patience.
    No more fear.
    Greg - it was you that I was saying wasn't making a political statement. It's easy for people to dismiss this as being politically correct until they've been at the receiving end of abuse. Statements such as calling it the Chinese virus just promote divisiveness when we need to be coming together as a country and we need all the help we can get from China and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    "Do you think that I’m going to be at the front of that line?
    Tough times ahead….I’m thinking."

I gladly got into line for the Polio shot! And I do not remember any paper work - was it an air gun injection? Back in the early 50's?
    little cups of liquid, three times if I remember correctly
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Permission slips. You were in school, only permission required.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

I've had the flu shot since as far back as I can remember. I haven't gotten the flu since.

I haven't had a flue shot since I got out of basic training in 1980.
    Cheers
    gww

Ps I am not against them but more too lazy to mess with it.
    zone 5b

Never had a flue shot, never will. Get it, get over it, move on.
    I think the small pox vaccination was the air gun. Too young at the time to remember. Still have the scar though.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Default Re: A sign of the times -- water

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    there are pallets of it at Sam's club. 10lb, 25lb and 50lb bags. All you could want. Bottled water and toilet paper...different thing.
    I understand the toilet paper but cannot figure out the need for bottled water.
    Many towns do not have good drinking water; it's not widely publicized I live near a small borough in central PA where you can smell the stink of water in homes. I am fortunate right down the road to have delicious well water that I can drink right from the tap!

Quote Originally Posted by jonsl View Post
    I've had the flu shot since as far back as I can remember. I haven't gotten the flu since.
    Haven’t had a flu shot, nor the flu, since the early ‘70’s....not starting now! memtb

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I think the small pox vaccination was the air gun. Too young at the time to remember. Still have the scar though.
    Nooooo! That was a painful series of pricks with a needle. It then got nicely inflamed and left scar tissue. I remember that clearly although it happened sixty years ago.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Nooooo! That was a painful series of pricks with a needle. It then got nicely inflamed and left scar tissue. I remember that clearly although it happened sixty years ago.
    Yes, I remember that - small pox was a scratch on the arm which left a scar - polio was either a jab or a drop of goo on a sugar cube. Never did have a TB jab as my Mantoux test was positive - meaning I either had the disease or the antibodies for it. I had the latter - dunno from where - probably picked 'em up when playing in the mud or from pet mice. Kids don't seem to do that sort of thing anymore ... too busy text-ing or playing on their X-boxes.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast