A sign of the times
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default A sign of the times

I was at Sam’s this week buying sugar to make syrup. I had six 25lb bags on the cart. The lady behind me in the checkout said ‘that’s a lot of sugar’. I said ‘I came for bottled water and toilet paper but they are out. I needed to hoard something and saw this sugar.’
    She didn’t bat an eye.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A sign of the times

5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

That is hilarious. In my neck of the woods, folks just assume you are making 'shine. I patiently explain that it is food for honey bees and that in Virginia, we have to feed them during the summer if we take the honey from them. Most believe me until they see all the bags of cracked corn.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 03-15-2020 at 08:16 AM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I can't find sugar anywhere hardly, I bought all they had a Food lion, a bunch of tiny bags.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper 2nd yr 15 hives
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Quote Originally Posted by ifixoldhouses View Post
    I can't find sugar anywhere hardly, I bought all they had a Food lion, a bunch of tiny bags.
    there are pallets of it at Sam's club. 10lb, 25lb and 50lb bags. All you could want. Bottled water and toilet paper...different thing.
    I understand the toilet paper but cannot figure out the need for bottled water.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I just picked up 200# at Wally World and was ready for the “no hand sanitizers left, going to hoard sugar instead” line but nobody said anything lol.
    Rod

Walmart had sugar on sale for $2.20 10# and back down to $7.60 for 25# until the hoarding started and they jumped the prices back up.After the shelves get stocked back up in a couple weeks I hope the price goes back down some.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I was at Sam’s this week buying sugar to make syrup. I had six 25lb bags on the cart. The lady behind me in the checkout said ‘that’s a lot of sugar’. I said ‘I came for bottled water and toilet paper but they are out. I needed to hoard something and saw this sugar.’
    She didn’t bat an eye.
    Ha ha. What a great come back. I always answer the “that sure is a lot of sugar” line with a simple yup followed by the inevitable pregnant pause before they finally realize I’m not offering an explanation.
    I’m sorry but the logic of hoarding either water or tp escapes me but I guess it’s just some sort of testament to human nature to walk by things like canned food and batteries to buy the stuff. I’m reminded of all the dire warnings of what would happen on New Year’s Day 2000. People were storing water and lots of other things. I went down in my parents basement and saw a bunch of milk jugs filled with water. I asked “what’s up with the water mom?” She gave me a sheepish grin and said “well you just never know”.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

That was a great response. I love loading up a cart of sugar and pushing it around to hear people's responses. Baking and moonshine are the common ones, though I don't know what you bake with only sugar.
    Walmart had only some 10lb bags the other day. Didn't even go look at the empty tp shelves. Panic does silly things to people. Watch tp go on sale in a month or so...

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I’m sorry but the logic of hoarding either water or tp escapes me.
    Jim, maybe I am just a little twisted, but there is a voice inside my head screaming that the whole TP thing is a construct of someone who bet another $1 (a la "Trading Places") that he could create a run on an item conpletely unrelated to the Covid-19 virus itself. After all, it is a respiratory virus, not a gastrointestinal one. Somewhere, someone is laughing their head off at the sight of empty shelves where the lowly rolls of TP once sat.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    the whole TP thing is a construct of someone who bet another $1 (a la "Trading Places") that he could create a run on an item conpletely unrelated to the Covid-19 virus itself.
    The tp thing makes sense to me. If you need to self quarantine…say for a month…running out of tp could be a problem.
    It’s the bottled water that I don’t get.

For the Y2K thing….hoarding water made sense…to me. There was the threat of major systems breaking down. If the power grid stopped working and you depended on a well….water could be trouble. Actually the same thing with municipal water if those computer systems failed.
    In the case of the Corona virus…I don’t see any immediate threat to power or water.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    It’s the bottled water that I don’t get.
    I don't get that one either, at least in my county where 95% of the households are on private wells.

The only thing I am truly worried about running out of is coffee. If that happens, somebody is gonna die

I think it's mostly to help people feel like they are doing something to get ready, and tp and water are cheap ways to do it. But that's still a silly reason in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JLW View Post
    I think it's mostly to help people feel like they are doing something to get ready...
    Kinda like back in the 60's when the teachers would have us practicing getting under our desks in case of a nuclear attack?

I cannot understand hoarding the bottled water. The water from the tap is perfectly fine in my area. Is the virus going to turn off the municipal water system too?

If COVID-19 hits as hard as some people seem to think, those people hoarding TP will likely starve before using it all.

My wife says the same thing, they might starve but they will be clean🤔

I think I need to pack up the car and head for Nebraska. Those of you that are Stephen King fans will know the reference. Maybe I can find some TP on the way.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast