I have been experimenting with different hive sizes and I made a 17" by 17" hive. I had installed a swarm in it last year, that my friend had caught. I realized it probably died out some months ago. I decided to "dissect" it today.
When I was trying to remove the bars, they all wanted to come up at once, so I was, what the heck, let's see if I can pull all the bars out at once. Sure enough, they all came out completely intact.
So I took a bunch of pictures, that this was a weird thing to see, seldom seen, so I took of pictures. Mind you I turned everything upside down for convenience.
The swarm initially started building combs *on the bottom* of my frames, and then later went to the top of the frames.