Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Well, well.
    My response - have you ever heard of junk science?- is intended to draw attention to such blanket statements as -science is truth-.
    Certainly not all 'science' is truth, as the statement implies.

I actually see value in most 'science'. Surprise!
    See my earlier post #10 in this thread.
    Ok, point taken, however your post seemed to imply that climate science was junk science.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

You can think if the climate change similar to what we are facing with corona virus now. Yes the climate has been getting warmer naturally but it has been accelerated by mankind. You can flatten that curve by mitigating mankind's impact or experience a fast and drastic change. The fast change will cause a huge disruption to the natural systems. A slower change will allow life to adapt at a rate that is feasible.

We already have a thread for debating the merits and science of global warming in Coffee Klatch. https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...Global-Warming
    Let's try to keep this thread about the warmer weather this spring that many of us are experiencing and its affect on our bee calendars.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

LJ " Science is actually moving away from any form of ultimate truth, and not towards it ! " - I say hogwash, can you test that hypothesis with some scientific method?................

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    We already have a thread for debating the merits and science of global warming in Coffee Klatch. https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...Global-Warming
    Let's try to keep this thread about the warmer weather this spring that many of us are experiencing and its affect on our bee calendars.
    This. Was wondering how long it would take to devolve into this type of discussion. Correlation does not mean causation. Like CCD, lots of moving parts here.

One other point about millions of years ago. The continents were actually in different positions on the planet as well, affecting the amount of solar radiation they receive. This can confound what you find in the geological past for specific locations. Oxygen content was also higher back then as well. That is what allowed the evolution of dragonflies w/ 3ft wing spans and the like--and why we don't have them today (all about surface area to volume ratio and the lack of closed circulatory systems in arthropods). Sorry for digressing but think this is a fun fact.

Around my apiary in late June or so, I get the blue dragonflies with about a 5" wing span. They are the medium sized ones. Wheen I lived in Ft, Lauderdale, we had ones that were much smaller, maybe a 3" wingspan, and some that I recall were huge. I am afraid that with this warmer spring, the dragonflies will be early and mated queens will be even harder to get returned.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

In the summer there are times when I get 6 or so large dragonflies zipping around my hives picking off bees. Fortunately it doesn't put that much of a dent in the population. Queens making it back is another story.

I like in-depth details. So, if not warming what do the numbers mean?

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    OK let's try to clarify:

The climate on the West coast is much different than the Northeast.

You don't get 6 months of New England winter.

Maybe your spring in that location is not historically early, but here on the East Coast and Northeast. It certainly is.
    Beekeeping always depends on location. Spring here is pretty much usual.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Around my apiary in late June or so, I get the blue dragonflies with about a 5" wing span. They are the medium sized ones. Wheen I lived in Ft, Lauderdale, we had ones that were much smaller, maybe a 3" wingspan, and some that I recall were huge. I am afraid that with this warmer spring, the dragonflies will be early and mated queens will be even harder to get returned.
    Those big blue ones are Aechnids--good mosquito eaters, both adult and aquatic larvae. Smaller ones, if there was coloring on their wings (anything other than clear), were Libellulids. Of course, if the wings folded back while at rest then they were actually damselflies.

Not sure the Aechnids will be early, at least here, as this cooler weather has slowed the spring progression but you are an hour or two south of me.

yup early, as the snow plows go by the house, and the snow piles up on the lawn and driveway, but luckily it's coming out of the south, if it was coming out of the north I expect the snow would be even colder
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Same here. I woke up this morning to see 1-2 inches of early spring on the ground.

yup freaking cold here too.
    Looking at the next 10-14 days on weather.com seems like pretty typical late march kind of deal.
    -> highs in mid to upper 40s a few days in the low 50s, night temps still down around 32.
    Im really hoping to be able to set up a cell builder a couple weeks earlier this year but not so sure after this last round of snow.
    I would love to be able to graft the weekend of April 24th but that would require some significant warming up from my viewpoint.

well the bees certainly are early. i had a hive swarm yesterday. big swarm from a strong single. should have given them more room earlier, but i could never believe a swarm this early. yesterday was day 084 of the year. first 'reported' swarms of years past that i have tracked are as follows: 2015:118, 2016:105, 2017:104, 2018:127. 30 days earlier than average, for me. the reported swarms are typically south jersey as well. be ready with boxes!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123