Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    487

    Default Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    Blooming is already underway.

    This usually happens around the end of March, early April at the earliest.

    This year is absurd.

    Looks to me like the spring is 3 weeks ahead, maybe 2 weeks at minimum.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Scott county, Arkansas, Usa
    Posts
    1,690

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    Seems that way here, also. Redbuds are showing a lot of pink. In the years their blooms don't get killed, the bees seem to get a good early boost.

    Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Richmond, va
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    early springs can be bad, if the plants are blooming and a freeze snap happens, then the buds die and there is no fruit that year for affected plants and trees.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Campbell River, BC, CA
    Posts
    1,847

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    Years ago we started keeping records of blooms etc. The surprising thing that taught us, most of the time when we see something blooming and say 'wow that is early', going to the records disputes that as often as not. Invariably it's within a few days of the average for the last few years.

    Using this year as an example, we dont have anything blooming yet,but I did see the first robin back a couple days ago. Our records show, average date for return of Robins, March 15 plus or minus 6 days. This year, March 9. Imagine that, it's right on schedule even tho it seems really early....

    I remember having this discussion with a friend last year, he was adamant his plum tree was blooming 'weeks early'. After we went to our records, turns out the plum tree was early last year, a whole day ahead of the 5 year average.....

    What this exercise has taught us over the years, the seasons are pretty consistent, but, our memory of when things bloom is absolute crap.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Surrey, B.C. Canada-Near Vancouver
    Posts
    73

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    Years ago we started keeping records of blooms etc. The surprising thing that taught us, most of the time when we see something blooming and say 'wow that is early', going to the records disputes that as often as not. Invariably it's within a few days of the average for the last few years.

    Using this year as an example, we dont have anything blooming yet,but I did see the first robin back a couple days ago. Our records show, average date for return of Robins, March 15 plus or minus 6 days. This year, March 9. Imagine that, it's right on schedule even tho it seems really early....

    I remember having this discussion with a friend last year, he was adamant his plum tree was blooming 'weeks early'. After we went to our records, turns out the plum tree was early last year, a whole day ahead of the 5 year average.....

    What this exercise has taught us over the years, the seasons are pretty consistent, but, our memory of when things bloom is absolute crap.
    I can tell you it's right on time here in Vancouver (BC mainland), I wish it was early! Plus it seems a lot of time when we get what we think is an early spring it's a blip of good weather early then a late April-early May cold snap that ruins a lot of early planting. I go by my cherry tree and rhodos. Haven't bloomed yet, seems they go right around April 1, give or take a week. I have friends in the southern US that are saying things are early this year though...

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    OK let's try to clarify:

    The climate on the West coast is much different than the Northeast.

    You don't get 6 months of New England winter.

    Maybe your spring in that location is not historically early, but here on the East Coast and Northeast. It certainly is.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Surrey, B.C. Canada-Near Vancouver
    Posts
    73

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    I hope it continues for you, an early spring would be great here.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Posts
    419

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    Actually, based on my notes (for my specific location only), we are generally in line with the springs of 2012-2014. 2012 as actually a two weeks earlier than this year. The winters of 2015-2017/8 were colder than normal and spring blooms were actually a month later than 2012-2014. Remember the advent of terms like polar vortex and bomb cyclones (actually technical language brought into the mainstream).

    In retrospect to those few years things do seem earlier this year. Now, in the south, may truly be early as the arctic air never really made many pushes too far south this year.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Warren County, NJ, USA
    Posts
    576

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    while winter in MD/NJ and most of PA is certainly over for this year, it depends on how you look at. last year winter was 'long' and cold, right?
    lets look at growing degree days for my location in NWNJ:
    using freezing temperature as a base, GDD is 259 this year and 108 last year. we early!
    temps bees fly (~42*) as a base, GDD is 66 this year and 31 last year. we early!
    phenology for plant/tree development (widely 50*), GDD is 11 and 12. right on track!
    so while the bees have been able to get out and stretch their wings early and often this year, the plants shouldn't be any much ahead.
    in the east half of the country we should be able to build up before the usual and capitalize on early flows. provided swarming is managed of course.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Co, NY, USA
    Posts
    3,743

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    Years ago we started keeping records of blooms etc. The surprising thing that taught us, most of the time when we see something blooming and say 'wow that is early', going to the records disputes that as often as not. Invariably it's within a few days of the average for the last few years.

    Using this year as an example, we dont have anything blooming yet,but I did see the first robin back a couple days ago. Our records show, average date for return of Robins, March 15 plus or minus 6 days. This year, March 9. Imagine that, it's right on schedule even tho it seems really early....

    I remember having this discussion with a friend last year, he was adamant his plum tree was blooming 'weeks early'. After we went to our records, turns out the plum tree was early last year, a whole day ahead of the 5 year average.....

    What this exercise has taught us over the years, the seasons are pretty consistent, but, our memory of when things bloom is absolute crap.
    I keep records and have for over 20 years, GDD's.
    For my location lets go to the tape. GDD 32 degree base.
    Compare spring this year with spring last year, same bee yard:
    This year 2020 last year 2019
    1/17- 148 (30 yr avg 50) 1/14- 77
    1/24- 154 ---------------- 1/22- 87
    1/31-197 ---------------- 1/31-99
    2/8-256 (30 yr avg 122) 2/12-155
    2/17-307 ---------------- 2/19-180
    2/27-379 ------------------ 2/26-206

    Warmer, yup. Earlier, yup.
    Blooms earlier, yup. And more than a few days either side of a 'expected' average.
    See those 30 yr averages for GDD?

    What is consistent is bloom time according to GDD.

    This time though, around these parts, those that just say it's earlier from memory are right. And have been more often than not recently.
    Last edited by clyderoad; 03-11-2020 at 03:19 PM.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    1,247

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    For my area it is early but I have seen earlier. My almond tree and my thundercloud plum tree are currently in full bloom. In 2019 and 2018 it was on 3/20, in 2017 it was on 4/1 and in 2015 (the earliest I have in my records) they were in full bloom on 2/17. I would prefer they bloomed a bit later but the weather never does what I want.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    1,368

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    I have drones. I have never had drones this early in the year. Last year it was the the third week of May before I saw drones. I think it is time to get the swarm traps out.
    Zone 6B

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Niagara Co., NY, USA
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    Very normal in my area, so far.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Surrey, B.C. Canada-Near Vancouver
    Posts
    73

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    Quote Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
    I can tell you it's right on time here in Vancouver (BC mainland), I wish it was early! Plus it seems a lot of time when we get what we think is an early spring it's a blip of good weather early then a late April-early May cold snap that ruins a lot of early planting. I go by my cherry tree and rhodos. Haven't bloomed yet, seems they go right around April 1, give or take a week. I have friends in the southern US that are saying things are early this year though...
    Also, the forecast is calling for lows of -3C (28-30F) overnight this weekend so it's definitely not quite spring. Temps supposed to start climbing above 10 later next week fairly consistently. That's about when it should start to kick in...

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Campbell River, BC, CA
    Posts
    1,847

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    Remember the advent of terms like polar vortex and bomb cyclones (actually technical language brought into the mainstream).
    Those used to be just plain old blizzards, but somewhere along the line folks decided they need to invent a new dramatic name for them every year....

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Scott county, Arkansas, Usa
    Posts
    1,690

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    Those used to be just plain old blizzards, but somewhere along the line folks decided they need to invent a new dramatic name for them every year....
    Every full moon now seems to now have a name, also. Something about a worm or something.

    Looking back at my bloom dates I see the Redbuds are right on time.

    Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pepperell, MA.
    Posts
    6,176

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    Quote Originally Posted by dddillon View Post
    early springs can be bad, if the plants are blooming and a freeze snap happens, then the buds die and there is no fruit that year for affected plants and trees.
    Happened a couple of years ago here. We lost the peach crop completely due to an early spring and then a quick, sharp freeze. This year the maples are barely running due to high temps at night. I'm hoping for a few weeks of low evening temps instead of a prolonged warm spell with a freeze.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Wakefield, Rhode Island, USA
    Posts
    397

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    We are very early. Let's hope we do not get a late freeze. I'm mulching all my cold plants like asparagus and garlic. I was able to inspect selected hives early this year, unfortunately I found a queen problem - no brood and no nucs to save the hive. From now on I run 4 nucs to support 8-10 hives every winter.

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    Bears are coming out of hibernation earlier than usual ...

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-51836206
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Wakefield, Rhode Island, USA
    Posts
    397

    Default Re: Let's just be honest: This spring is historically early.

    My advice LJ - Stay away from the bottom of avalanches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •