Varroa in drone brood

Default Varroa in drone brood

So I treated three times since the end of summer - once with formic when the weather was good, and twice with OAV, once in Jan. and once in Feb.

I broke some drone brood yesterday, and I saw drone larvae with varroa on them. A few had one or two, and one had about 4.

Should I be worried? I feel like we all know that we are raising varroa with our bees, but I don't know if this is evidence of being over threshold.

I guess i really just need to do an alcohol wash to find out...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Varroa in drone brood

An alcohol wash is certainly the next step to determine if you are over threshold. From your account of mites on your drone larvae, I am going to make a guess that you are at or over threshold. Good news is that your bees are alive and you have time to treat before honey supers go on in your area.

While an alcohol wash can give you a baseline, it is likely to simply confirm what you already know to be true. You are over the "threshold" and need to treat NOW. You have time to do a full OA series before you need to have the supers on.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Yeah, I would be worried. I suspect you are too since you made this post about it. Removing full frames of capped drone pupae can be effective this time of year for reducing varroa mite loads. Otherwise, pick your poison as the saying goes.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

thats too many mites for this time of year. remember where 1 goes in a cell on average 4 come out. if you have frames that are all drawn comb, removing those and freezing wouldnt hurt. i suspect in your area you will be putting supers on in 3-5 weeks? maybe i am too early with that figure, but something liek apivar would take 8 (6+2) weeks to run its course. have a look at MAQS for treatment. i think the continued increase in brood is too much for OA to be effective this time of year. any way about it you should do something to avoid a crash. good luck!

I treated for mites last fall with mite away quick strips. Day before yesterday I also noticed varroa on both my adult drone bees and in the drone larvae. I am at a loss as to how to treat them. I have already added a honey super to the hive because the population has exploded. The mite away quick strips say that they can be used with honey supers. However, I don’t want to cause mite resistance since I treated them with it in the fall. Does anyone have any ideas? I also have not done an alcohol wash yet but the population of varroa so early in the year really startled me.

thats really your only option with the supers on. the reason i save it for a spring treatment. use it again and follow up with something else when you pull your supers.

I would hit with formic pro and knock those mite populations down especially under capped brood. If you are seeing this
    many with just the few cells you have uncapped, then the mite population will explode as they are ramping up for the flow.
    Even if a queen is damaged, new queens should be available for sale by early April if you can't make your own.

The description given tells me that drone culling is good prevention method to stop Spring horizontal spreading or within hive growth. I have not seen Varroa-drone numbers as reported. Is Varroa resistant drones the way to go?

The idea of "thresholds" is an obsolete concept.
    With the ever increasing threat of multiple viral implications, varroa loads must be addressed regularly.

>Should I be worried?<

Only if you disregard the signs that you saw.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdee View Post
    I treated for mites last fall with mite away quick strips. Day before yesterday I also noticed varroa on both my adult drone bees and in the drone larvae. I am at a loss as to how to treat them. I have already added a honey super to the hive because the population has exploded. The mite away quick strips say that they can be used with honey supers. However, I don’t want to cause mite resistance since I treated them with it in the fall. Does anyone have any ideas? I also have not done an alcohol wash yet but the population of varroa so early in the year really startled me.
    Formic acid is not considered to be one of the treatments commonly associated with the development of resistance so I would not give a lot of weight to this factor.

I did not catch exactly when, last fall, that you treated; Formic affectiveness is temp. dependent. It is also possible that your bees were reinfected after treatments.

In any case you now need mite control; if you can actually see mites on the drones their numbers are very high.

With supers on, I think formic acid is your best option. The thymol, eucalyptal,etc. treatments will taint the honey (to some peoples tasters anyways)
    Frank

I will also throw in for formic asap. Its likely your hive was repopulated with mites through robbing after you treated. I have been seeing a lot of posts like this. This has happened to me so I followed up with an OAV series late fall and then I do a "one shot" around Christmas. This year, its was a 2 shot based upon some recent study I read about on here. Not much you can do about it except do a wash as late in the season as possible and treat accordingly. Good that you caught this now. Good luck. J