Honey Storage / fermentation

Default Honey Storage / fermentation

I kept some honey in my cellar which is about 55F and dry. I have used both plastic and glass containers. I have a 1 1/2 year old dark batch from a late Fall extraction. It partially crystalized over time. I typically check honey with a refractometer for less than 18% but crystallization seems to have freed up some water which caused a small amount of fermenting, I bleieve. When I warmed it up, slowly, it started fermenting and then stopped. It taste great! Are there any issues with this partially fermented honey? Do beekeepers intentionally create this effect, partial fermentation? I do not mean making Meade or may be I do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honey Storage / fermentation

I've had that happen in the past and I have made mead. I don't really want to share that with anyone except close family. By the way, the mead was great!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Not intentional. I find when it crystallizes at a constant rate it does not ferment. When it pauses after half crystallizing sometimes it does. I know there are markets out there for fermented honey but have not developed them for our honey so we try to avoid that. Even below 18% some honeys ferment....

I had a colony die out over winter. Seems like they just kept flying out to die all winter until there wasn't much left. Tons of stores both capped and uncapped. The uncapped stuff is all fermented and foaming out of the comb. I could smell it even before I opened the hive. Not sure what to do with it.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.55.07 PM.jpg

I decided to solve the issue with a garden hose. Fermented honey got rinsed out (majority at least). Capped honey still capped and fine. Problem solved. I wish all problems could be so easily.

Symptoms, anyone? for bees suffering from HMF (hydroxymethylfurfural) from overheated honey or syrup overheated or acidified. How would it present compared to nosemosis? There was some discussion on Bee_L a while back but not symptoms.
    Frank

I find my neighbors, after being told what it is, love the partially fermented honey. All my honey is checked and below 18%. It is becoming a privarte Reserved Honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    I find my neighbors, after being told what it is, love the partially fermented honey. All my honey is checked and below 18%. It is becoming a privarte Reserved Honey.
    Robert thats the spirit "rare partially fermented honey with hints of pick a flavor" "Special reserve" if it tastes ok it is likely fine, I have found some older stuff melted it and used it with no issues. now to duplicate......
    GG

It sounds like an opportunity to start your new hobby, making mead!
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.