Overwintered nuc - definition is vague - advice requested. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Overwintered nuc - definition is vague - advice requested.

Quote Originally Posted by timriver View Post
    In my area I sell nucs we graft only from over wintered stock and you get a new queen that was grafted from the over wintered queen that shows a good stock of bees that can survive the winter in a specific area I do think that at least anyone I know thats what they mean by over wintered.
    Its hard to graft from stock that didn't over winter (at least in the spring)
    Sounds to me like you talking about basic selection for local adaption, and that is a vaulabul thing, But an overwintered nuc is just that, one that survived the past winter.
    "oh well, let us stick to science. let them have their beliefs and intuitions!" -Medhat Nasr

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chorrylan View Post
    I would expect an "overwintered nuc" to contain a queen raised late in the previous season, nicely established and ready to kick off for her first spring.
    I would be unhappy if I purchased an "overwintered nuc" to find the queen was "old" and already in need of replacement.
    I make nucs (small splits) in summer (July) and usually these will go through winter as 5 over 5. The next spring I take the old(8-9 month) queen and brood with stores in a 5-frame nuc to sell or give away, and let the remaining nuc re-queen or insert a swarm cell from another selected colony. My calling her the OLD queen is only for reference and honesty, not to imply she is worn out or sub-standard.

I would also not want an overwintered but decrepit, on-her-last-legs, queen in an overwintered nuc. And this years early graft does NOT count as overwintered! Seriously, what part of that colony overwintered? In an overwintered nuc all the bees and brood are daughters of last year's queen. In a spring nuc all brood and most/all need are daughters of this year's queen. Otherwise it's a split. Many folks sell a split and call it a nuc. Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Amibusiness View Post
    I would also not want an overwintered but decrepit, on-her-last-legs, queen in an overwintered nuc. And this years early graft does NOT count as overwintered! Seriously, what part of that colony overwintered? In an overwintered nuc all the bees and brood are daughters of last year's queen. In a spring nuc all brood and most/all need are daughters of this year's queen. Otherwise it's a split. Many folks sell a split and call it a nuc. Imo.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12