I'm convinced that OAV is a cure-all for mites. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: I'm convinced that OAV is a cure-all for mites.

Much longer than 20 years I believe. Did you know that OA is critical to peristaltic action in humans? Look it up I try to balance my OAV use with drone removal too. I cannot bring myself to use Amitraz as an alternate.

Around me the fear of "the gas" has a large following so many other "chemicals" are used locally. This will level the genetic playing field I would think. I'm looking for, hoping for drones that are resistant to Varroa. This will affect the ability of the Varroa life cycle to reproduce at high rates, a la Asian honey bees. It would be nice if the "boys" contributed a little more to colony success.
    Last edited by Robert Holcombe; 03-07-2020 at 05:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jonsl View Post
    This is probably not likely since OA exists in many of the plants that we eat and/or drink (tea for instance).
    I agree, but my point is it doesn't matter what is right. It just takes a headline with a pic of someone performing oav with a bee suit and a respirator on to scare consumers. And we all know that according to the state of California, all things cause cancer.

Seen a post the other day that a bee box maker out there was having to mail notes to his customers due to wood being added as a carcinogen. I'm waiting untill they add water...
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

I first saw the Fat Bee Man use it, so I got some O A, and made a vaporizer out of copper pipe. I put OA in the nut at the end, and heated it with a torch and pliers, and I had a sticky board. The mite drop was around one hundred. I was new and had only used powdered sugar to treat. I took the sticky board to the bee meeting, and I thought the old timers were going to tar and feather me. First, it wasn't approved in Illinois, and I was told it killed queens. Now, its the go-to-treatment, except for treatment-free keepers in the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdfarmer555 View Post
    I'm waiting untill they add water...
    That dihydrogen monoxide is nasty stuff. It kills many people every year.

Not aware of any deaths from Oxalic Acid. So there you have it. OA is safer than water.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    That dihydrogen monoxide is nasty stuff. It kills many people every year.

Not aware of any deaths from Oxalic Acid. So there you have it. OA is safer than water.

So,,,,,,that doesn't bode well for OA dribble....
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

I also use OAV exclusively. The only time I lost bees to mites was the winter I used a heatgun vaporizer. Now I have a johno's easyvap. Works like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdfarmer555 View Post
    I agree, but my point is it doesn't matter what is right. It just takes a headline with a pic of someone performing oav with a bee suit and a respirator on to scare consumers. And we all know that according to the state of California, all things cause cancer.

Seen a post the other day that a bee box maker out there was having to mail notes to his customers due to wood being added as a carcinogen. I'm waiting untill they add water...
    The problem with declaring too many things carcinogenic is that after a while people start ignoring any warning, including for the really bad stuff like benzene.

Checked my furthest outyard today. All are healthy.
    22 for 22 this year.
    Gave them a quick treatment. I'll check the inserts for a mite count.
    If needed I'll give them a round of oav.
    Send them in to summer clean.

My experience is different. I use OAV. In fact, used it on several fly-back splits last night. However, I have found that in my area, with my hives, OAV in series will not sufficiently curb my mite loads coming out of summer and into Fall. I have capped brood 12 months a year. Apparently, Jamie Ellis, who's lab is not very far from me in Gainesville, Florida, has discovered the same thing I have -- even when forcing a brood break. https://academic.oup.com/jee/advance...dFrom=fulltext. There is no way to declare a cure-ALL when ALL are not similarly situated as to climate, density, etc. I am glad this works as an exclusive treatment for many of you. But I caution your readers to pay particular attention to your climate zones and settings and proceed with caution.

If I used OAV exclusively, in my area, I would have dead hives. Ask me how I know this.

psm1212;

How many days apart and how many repetitions constitutes your treatment? I am in a very light background of other peoples mites so have had no problems taking down my own mite levels.

Would you consider influx from outside sources to be the reason for your less than positive results?
    Frank

Frank:

All of that depends on circumstances. The way I split my hives in the spring creates a broodless split for one box on Day 1, and a broodless split for the 2nd box on Day 21. So I do a single OAV in the spring of broodless hives.

Back when I was equally convinced (and desperately wanted it to be true) that OAV would be my exclusive treatment, I treated in all kinds of series variations. 5tx/3days. 6tx/7days. 5tx/5days. And many more. I almost always treat at night, after work, so timing is not a big deal for me.

I am not claiming that I got NO benefit. I think I got decent results, but I still lost hives to mites.

I now treat with OAV in spring (as described above). The last week of July or first week of August, I install Apivar strips. After 10 weeks (off label) I remove the strips and do alcohol washes. If I have a mite threshold over 1%, I then do a series of OAV and retest.

Then, almost out of superstition, I always do a final one-shot OAV between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Just hoping to catch them with little brood.

As to mite pressure from neighbors, I don't know of any beekeepers in my area, but we do have a fair amount of bees that live in the woods. (Likely populated from lost swarms of mine over the years). So it is possible that I am getting mite influx from those unmanaged hives.

But I think the largest problem is that my hives start brooding up in late December and early January. Drone brood is capped by late January. They are swarming by the end of February, if no control measures are taken. They keep a fairly large brood nest until around November, when it briefly decreases to just a couple of frames. Then the season starts all over again in late December.

Secondly, I am not convinced that OAV has any appreciable extended effect beyond the initial 15 minutes "Flash" treatment. I know that many claim that mites are killed for days after as bees remove OA crystals from the hive. I am not convinced and I have not seen scientific studies that prove this.

You certainly have a much shorter time with total shutdown of brooding. That likely has an effect on virus titre which depends on a longer period mite free before it drops. I think sometimes we focus on the mites damage to individual bees and lose site of the virus factor of the whole equation Doing scattershot broodless brakes probably not near as effective as simultaneous, whole yard breaks. Drones still sleep around wherever, and even silent robbing hampers things.

I dont buy into the vision of there being identifiable crystals of OA that the bees can latch onto and take to the dump, so not much faith in lasting effects either.

Perhaps a combination with the slow release of OA in glycerine might be effective. The fellows in New Zealand are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the mites and it is an ongoing struggle. Their situation has the commmon factor of little or no broodless time. The long lasting release period of strips like Apivar certainly seem to have an advantage. For people with hundreds or thousands of hives though it is a whack of money.
    Frank

The concept of lasting effects from OAV is not one I have seen proof of and have always wondered about it. I do admit that I have repeated it without really thinking it through. I do not believe the bees pick up the crystals and move them out of the hive. I believe the process of walking around the hive and rubbing against them is enough to dislodge them and make them fall to the bottom of the hive with the rest of the trash. We are fortunate in my area that we have a long broodless period and a winter shot of OAV works wonders for knocking down the numbers. All mite protocols have a place in the arsenal. Figuring out what works best in your area and at what time of the year is the real trick to making them work well.

I've often wondered about the long-term effects of drinking cow's milk (as it contains a mammalian growth hormone) - but as there has not been any suggestion (I know of) that it might be linked to stimulating the growth of cancerous cells - why even consider this seriously ? Likewise Oxalic Acid - if there ever comes a time when there's some evidence-based suggestions that it's long-term use poses a problem - that's the time to start developing concerns about it. Otherwise the potential number of things to worry about in life becomes more-or-less infinite.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by patncin View Post
    I first saw the Fat Bee Man use it, so I got some O A, and made a vaporizer out of copper pipe. I put OA in the nut at the end, and heated it with a torch and pliers, and I had a sticky board. The mite drop was around one hundred. I was new and had only used powdered sugar to treat. I took the sticky board to the bee meeting, and I thought the old timers were going to tar and feather me. First, it wasn't approved in Illinois, and I was told it killed queens. Now, its the go-to-treatment, except for treatment-free keepers in the club.
    If you like OAV you are going to love this little baby from the UK.See web page attached.
    https://bridge-cottage.com/store

Just another data point: I'm a backyard beekeeper in his fifth year. I lost one of two hives in the first winter. I then started with OA, and haven't lost an over-wintered hive since. I don't connect the two. I've used formic and other treatments during the season, as well as sequential OA treatments when brood are in place. I also leave lots of stores in the hives over winter.

Just adding to the data pile.

Quote Originally Posted by b2bnz View Post
    If you like OAV you are going to love this little baby from the UK.See web page attached.
    https://bridge-cottage.com/store
    Awesome, thanks for the info! Shouldn't be too hard to make it at home, I hope and then I could vaporize through the top entrance instead of the bottom, plus this also would work for nucs that don't have slot at the bottom.

I've had a different experience. I caught a swarm last year and after summer solstice I purposely killed the queen forcing the bees to have a brood break and create a new queen. I treated with OA using Johno's easy vap about 4 week after the queen was killed. At this time the hive should have been broodless so OA should have been highly effective. The bees were successful in creating a queen and she was laying and creating worker brood. Things were looking good. Then in Aug. I did 4 treatments of OA 5 days apart. At this point I thought the war was won and the bees would easily survive into next year. They died in Dec. I opened the hive and did an autopsy on some of the dead bees left in the hive. I counted about 19 mites in 89 bees. This hive obviously died of mites but I'm very puzzled as to why and why my mitigation efforts failed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

In a few years it will be ineffective against the other Asian mite when it gets here. Thermal is effective and just as cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by mchrist152 View Post
    I've had a different experience. I caught a swarm last year and after summer solstice I purposely killed the queen forcing the bees to have a brood break and create a new queen. I treated with OA using Johno's easy vap about 4 week after the queen was killed. At this time the hive should have been broodless so OA should have been highly effective. The bees were successful in creating a queen and she was laying and creating worker brood. Things were looking good. Then in Aug. I did 4 treatments of OA 5 days apart. At this point I thought the war was won and the bees would easily survive into next year. They died in Dec. I opened the hive and did an autopsy on some of the dead bees left in the hive. I counted about 19 mites in 89 bees. This hive obviously died of mites but I'm very puzzled as to why and why my mitigation efforts failed. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Your bees went out robbing and brought in more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast