Bad Day - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Day

Default Re: Bad Day

This. Any pesticide sprayed on a nectar source that would have this kind of quick action would have killed/disabled the foragers before they made it back to the hive.

For this kind of effect the pesticide would have needed to be directly applied. Any evidence of anything being sprayed into the entrance? Oily residue or some dead vegetation around the entrance? This could suggest someone hit it with wasp freeze or something. The can can shoot 15 feet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

And we are back to wildbranch post #4.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

I would also like to see some photos of the brood frames, and hear what forked out drone brood looks like.

Do you have a lot of yellow jessamine there? in bloom now, or in the last few weeks?

If they would have sprayed one then why not spray the other one 2 feet a way.

I have seen minor kills in both hive several times. Some times it was just one other both had kills; JUST not this bad.

After cleaning the hive I left one one super with some honey from last fall. I put a Beeman feeder on top that the bees were not using.

I went in again Friday and pulled two frames and dropped a gallon of sugar water in a frame feeder into the deep box. Hive still has some bees that look normal. Maybe 100 plus died out front yesterday. Rest of the bees look normal and quite a few still alive. Now if the queen survived I may have a chance. She had looked normal when I redid the hive.

If they quit dying then I can possibly do some things with the other hive depending on what I find next week. There are drones in both hives so I am guessing the local feral bees that did not get into the spray will have drones too if the queen did not make it. I am hoping that she does but...

When I did a quick look in January I had probably 8-9 deeps with honey in both hives. When I looked a week ago lot of the honey was gone and replaced with mostly capped brood in both hives. Still frames on capped honey and open cells for feed.

I will have to feed these bees as there is almost no honey in the frames of brood deep that I have tried to save. The super has probably 4 frames of honey totaled.

There are no flying/ foraging bees that I see and only pissed off guard bees when you get around the hive. I fig it will be 14 to 21 days before they can get foragers back out again.

Peeked in and plenty of normal bees up in the super.

Few still nose diving off the landing board but it is slowing down though I have the hive blocked off to keep robbing away.

We will see next week if the queen made it and she is laying.

Still funny to see No foraging bees with the other hive going like crazy.

I did spend sunday at 75 degrees to get out and pressure wash all the boxes from the hive and last year.

This one has me stumped JimD. Not that it is a very hard thing to stump me. Just makes little sense to me why your other hive is not affected. The yellow jasmine angle that clyderoad mentioned is a good thought. I had a friend that experienced some of that a couple of years ago. Still doesn't explain why it is only one hive though. But who knows? Maybe all are feeding on something bad, but this one hive is dancing and targeting the jasmine/poison exclusively? I am guessing.

Sounds weird Jim. Did you send off a sample yet? If someone sprayed and they only had one can and were too chicken they might sink the whole can in 1 hive. Other would be fine.... Let us know how it progresses and what test results are.... Good luck!

Well the bees look like our economy. These two hives gave me a little over 20 gallons of honey last year and were the strongest hive I have ever had in 30 years of keeping a hive or two. I had one get poisoned and the other was still going strong.

I fed the weak hive for about 4weeks and then it swarmed as weak as it was after it started back growing.
    I was gone and the other hive swarmed before that when I was gone one day. My bad should has split the strong hive at least I would have kept the bees. I was stuck with two weaker hives though I got to watch the queen come out of her cell in the weak hive.

I found both queens several weeks ago and nada for eggs or larva. A little early for the weak hive but late for the other hive.

I looked Tuesday and found eggs to sealed brood in the weaker hive and a lot of it.
    I started with more bees in the swarmed hive and still have more but the queen there was not laying as well as the other queen. The good news is she is laying but not those full frames of eggs and larva that you like to see.

so it is just like this pandemic - strong as can be to looking like well fare cases which makes me wonder just what they will do for making honey this year. I had left a super on each hive last year with frames that were not capped and now they have less honey than they did in March though I have bees filling the deeps but not a lot of frames.

Expect you had both poisoned to some extent. Takes a long time to recover, the queen runs thru the most energy and collects the most residual.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12