Formic and meat pad

Default Formic and meat pad

I'm wanting to treat my nucs with formic acid using meat pads before warmer weather sets in. I've read to use 2ml of 65% per frame. Is that per frame of bees? Per frame period? Per frame of brood? I'd think per frame of bees. Then do this every 5-6 days? Also heard adding HBH on a separate pad. Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Formic and meat pad

A colony low in population is not as effective at fanning the fumes. The formula you use seems inline for a well populated hive but to be safe I would use the figure of frames of bees rather than the total frame count. Will you have a way of measuring mite drop? That would be a check on effectiveness. I have not used the combination with the Honey B Healthy but in the experiments by Jamie Amrine and Robert Noel there is advice not to combine the HBH with the Formic in advance of applying it. It has been a long time since I have studied that work. That was a slow continuous release method: It is easily searchable. What you are proposing is a series of so called "flash" treatments. A lift ring of several inches above the frames in upper box is often recommended.

When I played with it on only a few hives I used a syringe and squirted in 7 or 8 ml 65% formic morning and night for ten days. This on double deeps. Very effective.

This is far afield from what you are likely doing but may be some food for thought.

Edit; I would be especially cautious with the amounts on the first treatments on nucs. Test the depth of the water with one foot!
    Frank

Thanks,I figured it would be more towards per frames of bees. I heard to put the HBH on a separate pad also. I'm thinking of experimenting with 50%. I havent checked mite levels yet and may not even have to use it this spring. I treated with Oxalic in late Nov then once in Jan on a warm day.

Much better to use the legal product, Mite Away Quick Strips or FormicPro. Possibly better for the bees. Certainly safer for you. Not that expensive if only a few hives. Comes with directions and training videos at HoneyBeeHealthCoalition
    8 years, 8 hives

Quote Originally Posted by RudyT View Post
    Much better to use the legal product, Mite Away Quick Strips or FormicPro. Possibly better for the bees. Certainly safer for you. Not that expensive if only a few hives. Comes with directions and training videos at HoneyBeeHealthCoalition
    For general advice, I think you are close to 100% correct! But that is not as much fun!

I fiddled around with making a capillary tube that would dispense about 15 grams a day of Formic acid and also a gel of Formic acid that would slow its evaporation to simulate what the MAQ's product accomplishes. People have mixed their own concoctions and by misplacing a decimal point killed their bees.

Anyways, after I came upon Oxalic acid vaporization I basically abandoned the experiments.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by RudyT View Post
    I've got 80 hives

Quote Originally Posted by AstroZomBEE View Post
    Good info thanks