Paint- inside the hive?

Default Paint- inside the hive?

I have made a small nuc and had intended on sanding the old paint off before assembling it. However, I didn't, thinking I could do it later. Now I'm finding it difficult to get the paint sanded to the wood.

My main question is: how important is it that the inside of the hives are not painted? What about older painted boards. What exactly is the problem- does it affect the bees?

Thank!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Paint- inside the hive?

I don't paint the insides. Usually the bees propolize them pretty good in a season or so. I know some folks do for a variety of reasons but if you don't paint them, don't sweat it in my book.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

The wood is already painted. It's not new paint. Does it cause harm to the bees at all?

No, paint on the inside of the boxes does not cause the bees problems.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Sr. Tanya: I do not know why it would cause any harm. I suppose if you are looking for worst-case scenarios, you could worry about lead-based paint, which has been banned since 1978. I think there are two main reasons people do not paint the interior of boxes: (1) they believe the raw wood encourages the bees to propolize the walls to create a more hygenic/antimicrobial environment and (2) the normal heightened sensitivity many beekeepers have toward adding any chemical or compound to a hive.

Neither of these reasons give me any cause for concern. If I were in your position, and had painted interior walls of otherwise useful equipment, I would definitely use them with no worries.

But we are all different.

Thanks for the reassurances. I don't paint my normal hive boxes but these were scraps in the carpenter shop I was putting to good use.