Cell phone radiation toward Bees!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cell phone radiation toward Bees!!!

Hi, I found this speech from youtube, just for leisure.
    But she is talking about experiments on bees on Cell Phone.
    She said

"after 10 minutes for 10 days cell phone exposure,
    worker bees didn't come back to the hives."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwyDCHf5iCY

So, I learned bees are quite sensitive to cell radiation.
    Also, I haven't been thinking cell radiation is not so bad.

But it was like a wake-up call.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cell phone radiation toward Bees!!!

I think there are all kinds of studies that will either support or contradict that conclusion. In my opinion, if you're concerned, don't bring your phone out to the hives. You can control that. Other producers of radiation is more difficult for you to control. I'd rather focus on the absolute threats that affect my hives and that I know for a fact will cause harm including bears, mites, pesticides and the like. I do use a phone to record observations on each colony when I inspect. Since inspections are often messy, it's an older phone connected via wireless but I use it because it's an old phone, not because I'm worried about the radiation.

I noticed the quote in bold and I wonder why I'd be out, with the phone for 10 minutes a day for 10 days. Not to say that there may not be an effect but the example is extreme and seemingly unreasonable.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

The question is "How do you fell?" If you have a cell phone, you use the phone for more then ten minutes a day. Do you have problems getting home after days of usage? I have used cell phones for the last 12 years with no problems of radiation. They were problely using forager bees. They are on their last ten days of life any how. They my have gotten hit by a car, bird or died of old age.

Was gonna watch the video till i saw it's more than an hour.

So i don't really know what the guy is on about. What i do know is i done my own experiment. Put my phone on a hive, left it while i worked other hives, got back to the hive with the phone on, no bee exodus, or anything else unusual.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Was gonna watch the video till i saw it's more than an hour. So i don't really know what the guy is on about.
    This is NOT a talk about cell-phones and honeybees - it's a wide-ranging talk about the alleged effects of cell-phone use on human health.

To save other people wasting an hour of their time on this, I downloaded the video and then skim-watched sections of it until I reached references being made to Honeybees. This occurs between 45 mins 38 secs and 47 mins 30 secs, when the speaker references a paper by Sainudeen, 2011 entitled "Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR) damages Honey Bees", a copy of which may be downloaded from:
    https://academicjournals.org/journal...f/DF0005361486 and from which you will note that the results of this work have been retracted.

In addition, the lecturer uses the word "damages" in her reference to the paper, whereas the paper's author uses the words "clashes with".
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Oh thanks Little John. Very helpful.

Be great if other people who post lengthy videos to share some 2 minute idea that appears in it at some point, could follow your lead and point people to the part, instead of assuming that people have one, two, or in some cases even more, hours to spend trying to find it.

Thanks LJ for suffering through that video and then looking up the referenced paper. Would like to add that a few years ago a cell tower was built on the property next to me and is less than 1000' from my hives. Have not noticed any of my bees getting "lost". But just in case, maybe I should make them all little tin foil hats?

To the OP, good Lord, don't believe everything you see on Youtube!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Oh thanks Little John. Very helpful.

Be great if other people who post lengthy videos to share some 2 minute idea that appears in it at some point, could follow your lead and point people to the part, instead of assuming that people have one, two, or in some cases even more, hours to spend trying to find it.
    On Youtube you can add a ?t= at the end of the URL. With the time being in seconds, for example 45 mins 38 secs would be ?t=2738 The video will start at that point.

That's awesome info William, i will definately be able to make use of.

I have been frustrated sometimes sharing a video but it's 5 minutes before it gets to the bit i want people to see.

William i just tried it, didn't work for me. Could you post a working demo of it?

Here's where I'm at right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwyD...CHf5iCY?t=2738

Quote Originally Posted by ej.apiary View Post

So, I learned bees are quite sensitive to cell radiation.
    Also, I haven't been thinking cell radiation is not so bad.
    If true, this doesn't bode well for the Bee Health Guru thing.
    I think this will be the first full Spring of widespread use. Maybe we will know more soon.
    Too bad cell radiation doesn't affect the mites in the same way or just the bees with mites.

Many times in my life I thought I had "learned" something, only to find out later I had merely been convinced.

I hope you learn to enjoy your bees.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

William i just tried it, didn't work for me. Could you post a working demo of it?

Here's where I'm at right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwyD...CHf5iCY?t=2738
    Somehow you have the URL twice. First one without the ?t= second one with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwyDCHf5iCY?t=2738

OK i just clicked your own link, but when it opens the page on my computer the ?t=2738 shows for a second or so, then vanishes, and the video starts at the beginning. Or more precisely, at an advert. Once the advert is done the video starts at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Sainudeen, 2011 entitled "Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR) damages Honey Bees", a copy of which may be downloaded from:
    https://academicjournals.org/journal...f/DF0005361486 and from which you will note that the results of this work have been retracted.

In addition, the lecturer uses the word "damages" in her reference to the paper, whereas the paper's author uses the words "clashes with".
    LJ
    Very observant Little John.

And as you say, when i followed your link and looked up the study, it has the word RETRACTED stamped in big red letters across each page.

Any idea why? Study not done right? Peer review didn't stand up? Or outright falsification of results? Be interesting to know.

The other problem we now have in our information sharing age, is that the talk by this lady will be circulated by those of a particular persuasion, and the fact the part of it related to bees is based on a now retracted study will largely go undetected.

OK i just clicked your own link, but when it opens the page on my computer the ?t=2738 shows for a second or so, then vanishes, and the video starts at the beginning. Or more precisely, at an advert. Once the advert is done the video starts at the beginning.
    OT, I had the same issue as you. I found that what works for me is the added part should be "&t=2738" I found that by watching what happens when you use the builtin Youtube feature of doing this.

First, click the "Share" button, then the "Start at" box (note/adjust the time at that box). Note how the URL changes.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Awesome Rader, it works!!

Thanks to you both, this will just make some stuff i share a little easier on the viewers.

Pretty easy to remember. &t=2738 could be remembered mentally as - and time = 2738 (seconds).

My apologies, &t= is the correct way this should be done. Oddly the incorrect way with the "?" works on my Android smart phone which is why I did not catch this myself. Tested today on both a Windows and a Linux desktop and both go to the beginning after the ad. Firefox browser on all three...

All we have to do now is find how to eliminate the ads.

All we have to do now is find how to eliminate the ads.
    Sadly never going to happen... On Youtube, I read the comments while the ad(s) are running so will be less distracted during the video. If I happen to finish before the ads do I hit skip (while we still can!) Perhaps we should eliminate videos with comments disabled?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast