Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Nursery cage

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Apis Natural 
#1 ·
Does anybody still use/ make the doo little cages from Doo Littles Scientific Queen Rearing? I have more time and material then money. My goal this year is to raise more queens and get a honey crop..I also like to be self sustaining.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Ruth,. I'm trying to understand that frame contraption. It looks to me if you take the cover off all 35 to 40 Queens are free to run at once. Is there a way to contain individuals? years ago when I banked Queens I had good luck with the modified frame that held Jz BZ Queen cages. I put them in without attendants and had no problems

#7 ·
Each little compartment houses a queen, similar to the individual blocks that the OP showed. You would never take all the covers off at one time. The grid on the other side does not allow nurse bees to pass through, so it really is for banking queens. The nurse bees can feed the queens, but they cannot get in each cell with them.

#4 ·
I've used Nicot roller-cages for this job, but whenever possible I much prefer to get queens installed within a colony of bees as soon as possible after emergence.
LJ

#6 ·
I would advise against any form of caging during the incubation period* - with the exception of the last 48hrs.

This is what Steve Rose wrote in the description of his Queen-Rearing Method:
"On one occasion I put roller cages over the cells soon after they were sealed instead of waiting 10 days after grafting. The result was that the pupae progressed very slowly, emerging as underdeveloped virgins about 3 days later than normal." I have experienced exactly the same result myself.

With regard to introduction - how would you go about physically doing this ? In contrast to a mailing cage those cages are quite bulky ...

For the introduction of Q/Cells - in Chapter 10 of Scientific Queen Rearing Doolittle describes his use of Q/C protector cages which are slim, and can be inserted without difficulty between combs.
LJ

* except inside a temperature and humidity controlled incubator

#10 ·
I made my own queen cages, 500 2yrs ago, they are easy to make with some scrap 2x4, milled to 3" x 1 1/4" x 3/4" with 3 - 3/4" holes and 3/8" holes on each end. Then I cut some dark metal window screen to size stapled on the cage. I use fondant to plug one hole, then when needed I introduce the queen to it. pop a cork on the other end. ready to go. I'only sold 20 last season, the rest are for the nucs I sell and use for new hives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.