Bee Weaveer Queens

Default Bee Weaveer Queens

I have ordered two of the Bee Weaver Queens for May delivery.
    My plan is to do two splits into 5 frame boxes and to overwinter
    in them. I am trying to see how close to the truth all the hype is.
    Has anyone here had experience with them?
    Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee Weaveer Queens

I ordered 2 mated BeeWeaver about 4 years ago and did splits with them. One didn't take for whatever reason, but the other one established a nice healthy colony. They certainly could live with the varroa mites, but she was "spicy" (not hot, but the hive was not fun to work without smoke). I made daughters of that queen and kept one daughter queen. Her and her granddaughters were also on the "spicy" side, so I got rid of that line last year because I am in a very suburban area and didn't want any issues with the neighbors. (the bees didn't chase you, just stuck to your veil like Velcro)

If you are on an acre or so, you will really enjoy them. Mine made a lot of honey.

Quote Originally Posted by fadder View Post
    I am trying to see how close to the truth all the hype is.
    Has anyone here had experience with them?
    No hype, their bees thrive without treatment, but some beeks still do treat them Perhaps more importantly, as ruthiesbees pointed out they are not docile bees, so be ready for that. My experience has been there daughters when locally mated loose some of there “spice”
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Tried them a few years ago built up strong , but this far north I still needed to treat them our winters are just to long. the queens I got had gentle bees.

I have bought them. They are good queens but the ones I had were very “spicy” as had been said. However I am going to graft from the 2nd gen daughter of one this year. Good strong hive and her daughters carry the same traits. Still a bit spicy but livable now.

Spicy/temperamental/pissed-off/aggressive/not back yard friendly I have heard all of these terms used to describe beeweaver queens. From personal experience, I do not disagree.
    South Texas Apiaries, LLC
    www.Facebook.com/SouthTexasApiaries

Just a heads up about your plan. A nuc set up in May will be bigger than 5 frames by winter. You can just add more boxes to it. You could also harvest some resources from it during the summer but even with that you will want at least a second box on that hive if not a third. Anyways good luck