Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Waning Efficacy of Apivar?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Kevinf 
#1 ·
I have heard many references and read many posts about the decreasing efficacy of Apivar strips in managing mites in honey bee hives. I have been searching for any published reporting or studies that show any such evidence. The purpose of this post is to solicit any paper or study that shows a decreased efficacy of Apivar.

I am not talking about amitraz in general. But specifically the Apivar product. I wonder if some of the anecdotal reports of a decreased efficacy is being generated by experience with off-label uses of amitraz.

The study published by the University of Florida last month indicates no decreased efficacy of Apivar strips, but that is not what the study was designed to test.

If anyone has anything that shows mite resistance to Apivar, please post a link. Thanks.

#4 ·
Kevin and Clyderoad: Thank you both. Published last month. Helpful to have the Apiarist's take on it too. Exactly what I was looking for. Not sure I fully understand it, but will keep studying it.

#5 ·
I don't know how to attach a pdf but the Jan-Feb 2020 newsletter of the Oregon State Beekeepers Association has a mention of a study by Oregon State University on page 14 on this topic - https://orsba.org/the-bee-line-archive/.

The study is on-going so no conclusive results to report at this juncture.

Off topic, but in the same newsletter on page 1 is a small study which they did on the effect of formic acid and oxalic acid on brood which might be of interest.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.