Possible computer virus threat
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Possible computer virus threat

On several occasions I have logged on to Beesource and a screen appears showing a threatening notice that my computer is infected and directing me to click a "link". I am not stupid enough to fall for that, but has this happened to anyone else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Possible computer virus threat

Not getting any message.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

I'm with saltybee
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Nope. I would run several virus scans. J

Yes I have had that happen 2 - 3 times in the last week. I have ran my virus check at least 3 times with nothing found.

I had this happen some time ago, when I would open beesource a flag would come up that I had a new message if I then opened the message it would come up as some group claiming to be microsoft who would claim that there was a problem as there was a virus in the system. If you opened the link it would lock the computer and you were asked to call a number for help this went on for a while so I no longer open the message notification and cancell it and then go to the message site.

I had that screen pop up again just as I was clicking to check on any new post.

I haven't encountered any notification, McAfee will notify me if a virus has been detected.

Try a different virus scan on your computer. Malware Bytes or AVG seems to clear these up.

I'm voting varroa. When did you last treat?

it IS some type of malware on your computer, so if your AV is not detecting it, take a screenshot of it and send it to your AV company so they can investigate.

Depending which windows version you have, in Accessories there should be a Snipping Tool, which you can use to take a screenshot.

This thing sounds like it might be a popup, you could look into popup blockers, again there may be a free one with your windows version.

Some AV programs do not look for certain things not considered an actual virus, so as per AR1 that's where Malwarebytes can be useful. There is a free version, and it can be run alongside your other AV program. Unlike other AV programs which are mostly not compatable with each other and should not be run together.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    Try a different virus scan on your computer. Malware Bytes or AVG seems to clear these up.
    +1 for Malware Bytes, it has a free trial and you can scan your system and remove malware.
    Started April Fools Day 2017

I am not a tech geek but I don't think it is my computer since it only does it on this site. I am running Windows 10. It is not locking up my system and I can click out of the tab and then reload Beesource. I took a picture of it since any other control functions don't work. When I get a chance I will post them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B1 View Post
    I am not a tech geek but I don't think it is my computer since it only does it on this site. I am running Windows 10. It is not locking up my system and I can click out of the tab and then reload Beesource. I took a picture of it since any other control functions don't work. When I get a chance I will post them.
    I'd still run malwarebytes, it can't hurt... this sounds like malware and not a virus
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
    I'm voting varroa. When did you last treat?
    Ohhh nooo the varroa virus has entered your computer
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

IPad is telling me to update Adobe Flash Player. I went to the apps store but they didn't even suggest it is on my iPad. I am locked out of this website on the iPad because of that notice. Anyone else getting that? It just started for me.

Adobe Flash is more or less a 'walking dead' product. Realistically, it is no longer supported by anyone.

Flash Player once had a large user base, and was a common format for web games, animations, and graphical user interface (GUI) elements embedded in web pages. Adobe stated in 2013 that more than 400 million out of over 1 billion connected desktops update to the new version of Flash Player within six weeks of release.[11] However, Flash Player has become increasingly criticized for its performance, consumption of battery on mobile devices, the number of security vulnerabilities that had been discovered in the software, and its closed platform nature. Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was highly critical of Flash Player, having published an open letter detailing Apple's reasoning for not supporting Flash on its iOS device family. Its usage has also waned because of modern web standards that allow some of Flash's use cases to be fulfilled without third-party plugins.[12][13][14]

In July 2017, Adobe announced[15] that it would end support for Flash Player at the end of 2020, and continued to encourage the use of open HTML5 standards in place of Flash.[16][17] The announcement was coordinated with Apple,[18] Facebook,[19] Google,[20] Microsoft,[21] and Mozilla.[22] In September 2019, Microsoft announced that on December 31, 2020 Flash will be entirely removed from all browsers via Windows Update.[23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash_Player
    I am confident that there is no Beesource content (meaning this forum) that uses Flash. Some advertisers might, though. If you have a device that won't load a forum page due to Flash in an ad, it sounds to me as though that device needs an update or a settings change.

-----------------------------------

Perhaps related - perhaps not. Most of the time, I use Beesource on a Ubuntu based desktop. No issues. Sometimes I view Beesource on my Android Moto7 phone. Beesource defaults to serving up the 'mobile' version of vBulletin/Beesource, and I find it virtually unusable. I dislike it so much that I tell that phone browser to serve me up the 'desktop' version instead. Typically I have to turn the phone sideways and read in Landscape mode, so its a bit clumsy, but its better than the mobile version. I also have a 10" Android tablet that gets used on occasion, and that is hands-down much better using the 'desktop' Beesource, even though the tablet thinks it is a 'mobile' device.

The point is that, even if the Ipad doesn't have any Flash related settings, it may allow one to choose between a 'mobile' version of Beesource (or any other website) and the 'desktop' version. I find that in many cases, the desktop version is better than the mobile version. In some non-Beesource sites, say Home Depot, the mobile version even has different (less) content than the desktop version (or perhaps its just hidden well enough that I can't find it )

So don't just take what they serve you - look to see if you can get the desktop instead.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 02-27-2020 at 07:06 PM. Reason: add more
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

It just did it again. At the top of my screen it says " winErr0156" and in the address bar it starts with this( lavalavas.website/ln/ ) then an alphanumeric string
    I can click out of it but it is annoying. Here are some screen shotscomputer warning.jpg

That is something on your computer, possibly being triggered by an ad, and if you download their "update", you will get something that will "scan" your computer, tell you there is heaps of stuff wrong, and direct you to a scammer in India who will want money to "fix" your computer. Do not click anything on that popup.

In windows 10, to find out if you really need an upate, go to the start button bottom left of your screen and right click it. From the drop down menu click settings. Then click Windows Update. You will then get a screen telling you if you need an update. If you do, go ahead and download it / them.

Also advise getting Malwarebytes to hopefully rid you of your annoying popup.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast