Entrance Reduction for Langstroth When Trapping?

Default Entrance Reduction for Langstroth When Trapping?

I have two nice unused deeps that I want to put out to try trapping a swarm. I donít have any old comb to put into them, so Iíll put a couple frames of wired wax foundation in, then maybe put some wired frames in with no foundation attached. Iíll use Swarm Commander at the entrance. Let me know if I should change any of that.

Should I reduce the entrances or leave them open all the way across?

Should I put the frames with foundation in middle or on sides?

Would it be better to use a couple black plastic frames (waxed) rather than the wax foundation in wood frames?

Wish me Luck!

Big Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Entrance Reduction for Langstroth When Trapping?

Mike:

Since none of the experienced trappers have weighed-in yet, I'll offer a few thoughts based on my limited experience and let others chime in as well.

My experience has suggested that scouts are looking for a cavity that is appropriately sized, fairly weather-tight and in the shade. I think they also prefer smaller openings that face toward the Southeast quadrant.

Based on these assumed precepts and in your specific situation I would:

Put maybe one or two frames of foundation near the center, or even better just use starter strips, filling the rest of the box with empty frames- again using starter strips with no full sheets of foundation might be best in the absence of any drawn comb.

I personally would avoid using the plastic frames in a swarm trap, saving them to add later when the colony was established.

Finally, I would use the entrance reducer as a smaller entrance will be favored by scouts over the larger one.

Good luck with your swarm trapping- it never gets old to find you've caught a swarm... or even better to watch them move in!

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Russ, you pretty much nailed it, and for the right reasons. Mike, since you do not have any drawn comb, and I assume no beeswax, I would try to get some beeswax to rub inside the hive (eBay, arts and crafts stores, candle shops) I caught my first swarm on a piece of foundation with some LGO on the top bar. The trap was a paper mache flowerpot. I think the bees were pretty desperate.
    20170501_154458.jpg
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Trapping with no black comb is like....well..... use your imagination. Melt propolis and beeswax on the bottom board with a drop or two of LGO melted in. Trade in your wife or kids for some black comb. Reduce entrance 50%.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    The trap was a paper mache flowerpot. 20170501_154458.jpg
    Cool picture, JW.
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Thank you all for your replies and good advice.

I do have beeswax, LGO, and Swarm Commander. I’m going to try this. It’s better than the woodware sitting in my basement.

Even a bling hog occasionally finds an acorn. Maybe I can “command” a swarm in.

Big Mike aka
    Biggie