Splitting the hive up completely into new nucleus colonies - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Splitting the hive up completely into new nucleus colonies

Did you read he wants to split twenty colonies out and instal queen cells I cannot comprehend how you can even say it would lead to as fast of build up as installing a mated queen
    no I said
    The advantage would be if the OP could buy queens before he could produce them locally (IE pre drones), then the splits get a head start
    if he can make and place queen cells 2 weeks before he can receive 100 mated queens its a wash..

if this was Dec.. Maybe
    but its not, at this point in the game, for many of us(if we havent pre ordered by now) we are not going to beable to get queens before we could have made our own. the op is a bit colder so it might tip the scales.
    As Iíve said good luck I personally know someone who got 3000 frames of bees and brood and made 1000 colonies with queencells. Care to guess how many hives he has left.
    If you recall I questioned the OP on this as I felt he was falling to that trap, it was not well reviced so I walled away.

my point was (made poorly) what ever gets him a laying queen the fastest will be the best for growth, but importing sunbelt queens will lead to higher winter losses, dosen't matter have fast they build up if they die before spring
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Amk, I hate to punch a gigantic hole in your 2000 bees per day theory, BUT... Do you honestly believe that a two frame nuc is capable of caring for and feeding your hypothetical 28K bees? Whether a newly emerged virgin, or a mated and laying queen, the number of nurse bees in the hive is the limiting factor. At most he is likey to have around 4000 total bees per nuc. The queen will adjust her laying accordingly.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 03-13-2020 at 05:39 PM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Did anyone read that these are to be made in late summer!

......I really like the plan to let the old queens keep producing brood and bees, that fits well with my later summer splitting plans.
    Also:
    The OP doesn't plan on letting the nucs raise their own queens either. He expects to place a ripe queen cell, to emerge and get mated in the 2 frame nuc, then build up and head a colony into fall. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Did anyone read that these are to be made in late summer!
    Also:
    The OP doesn't plan on letting the nucs raise their own queens either. He expects to place a ripe queen cell, to emerge and get mated in the 2 frame nuc, then build up and head a colony into fall. Big difference.
    Good point.

I've recently been trawling through some early copies of ABJ, and there's one in which the question was asked: "how many colonies can be made from just the one ?" [my words]

There was a guy named Wellhuysen who used some kind of skep who claimed he'd raised 13 in the first season and 125 in the second - from just the one colony, and that included queen-raising as well !
    Gallup claimed that he could easily better that, but he writes: "This we can work very safely; and if we are sure of a supply of honey in September, we can keep on making swarms until into that month. But to move perfectly safe, we must make only one or two at a time towards the last." ['swarms' being the term used at that time for any form of increase - nucleus colonies were considered to be artificial swarms]

LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123