Cow urine and EFB - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cow urine and EFB

you can grow "organic" food in the other waist product cows produce
    "oh well, let us stick to science. let them have their beliefs and intuitions!" -Medhat Nasr

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

There are a lot of comments on BEE-L regarding this subject. Very few are dismissive. Many are about how to collect cow pee. It may not be just cow urine that is effective either. The use of human urine originally started the thread. And, it appears that Randy Oliver may be open to conducting some preliminary testing. Search BEE-L for posts titled "Medicine for Bees."

Regarding appropriate agencies approving something for use on food, remember Alar was approved for use on apples and other fruits until they realized it was really bad for you 25 years later.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Bill Hesbach posted a link to this paper on Bee-L yesterday. The research, conducted over a six year period of time, shows that spraying your hive with 100% cow urine can completely cure a hive of EFB and promote better overall hive health. Uh, anyone willing to give it a field trial here in the US? Squarepeg?

https://www.asianagrihistory.org/pdf...ira-tiwari.pdf
    Cow urine is used for bathing by some traditional pastoralist cattle herders like the Dinka, the Nuer, and the Mundari. The claim is that it fights infection. Urine carries excess minerals and salts out of the body in water that has been highly filtered by the kidneys. I can imagine that evolution has favored the production of anti-bacterial/anti-fungal urine because the urethra and bladder would otherwise be prone to even more infections then they get now

https://pachodo.org/latest-news-arti...ight-infection

And duck semen too.

https://www.inverse.com/science/anti...ial-duck-semen

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    you can grow "organic" food in the other waist product cows produce
    There has always been that little nugget of training that comes and goes concerning bee forage for water and how they prefer urine and cow patties to plain water. Everyone speculated that it had to do with the notion that those substances, uh, give off an odor and that helps the bees find it.

Perhaps it is like Stamets mushrooms, and the bees know something we do not and they are hitting it for a biological need.

KI.

__________________________________________________ __________________________
    When beekeepers go together, we can accomplish great things...

I've been treating my hives with urine for years. I always drink a lot before going to the bee yard. You have to be quick on the draw and put it away before they get agressive. It's like magic: healthy bees, copious amounts of honey produced, no winter losses. I tried to patent it: uric acid dribble. But the patent office did not think I was serious. For some reason I have a lot of surplus honey that does not sell....

Sorry.... I could not resist

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Bill Hesbach posted a link to this paper on Bee-L yesterday. The research, conducted over a six year period of time, shows that spraying your hive with 100% cow urine can completely cure a hive of EFB and promote better overall hive health. Uh, anyone willing to give it a field trial here in the US? Squarepeg?

https://www.asianagrihistory.org/pdf...ira-tiwari.pdf
    I find this article quite interesting. I do have to wonder however if the cows which donated their urine for this study had been inoculated with antibiotics (or, anything else for that matter). If they have then a whole new study needs to be done as a 'control group' using cows which had never had any sort of medicine. My point is - the fact that it was 'cow urine', may be a total coincidence and the benefits were due to the antibiotics in the cow's system at the time the urine was collected.

Stephen B.

Quote Originally Posted by Amibusiness View Post
    Sorry.... I could not resist
    I get it, too strong an urge.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

This thread reminds me of 2 intelligent people: My Grandma told me the best way to get rid of the bacterial infection impetigo on a baby is to, "Take his wet diaper and rub it around his mouth. That's what we did and it worked." She raised 9 healthy children without a pediatrician. The other was my doctor who said, in relation to infections entering the body via cuts in skin, "PEE IS CLEAN. Poop is dirty."

I still remember the look on each of their confused, gentle faces, "Why don't people get this? It's simple and all-natural."

So, below comments make sense to me, and support "GRANDMA'S PRESCRIPTION."

Holcombe - "Cow urine contains nitrogen, sulphur, phosphate, sodium, manganese, iron, silicon, chlorine, magnesium, maleic, citric, tartaric and calcium salts, vitamin A, B, C, D, E, minerals, lactose, enzymes, creatinine, hormones and gold acids. Ingredients of cow urine are similar with human body. "

Nectarfeed - "Cow urine is used for bathing by some traditional pastoralist cattle herders like the Dinka, the Nuer, and the Mundari. The claim is that it fights infection. Urine carries excess minerals and salts out of the body in water that has been highly filtered by the kidneys. I can imagine that evolution has favored the production of anti-bacterial/anti-fungal urine because the urethra and bladder would otherwise be prone to even more infections then they get now."

kevvan - "There has always been that little nugget of training that comes and goes concerning bee forage for water and how they prefer urine and cow patties to plain water. .... Perhaps ... the bees know something we do not and they are hitting it for a biological need."

MSL - "you can grow 'organic' food in the other waste product cows produce " (plus, there are gardeners who add their human pee to their plant spray mixtures)

Amibusiness - Maybe you can invent and patent a special protection net to be worn during "application"? ... I couldn't resist.

I'm both suspicious and unimpressed.

Unimpressed because the reported kill rates are not all that good - 8% or more bees remained infested post-treatment. In my apiary, I'd call that a failed treatment.

Suspicious, given the poor kill rates to thymol and formic acid. Again, if I treated with either of those and got the kill rates reported, I'd consider the treatment a failure and be asking my supplier for a refund...

"This thread reminds me of 2 intelligent people:" beesRus - I like your summary. If effective as a natural compound and readily available I doubt anyone would really invest in the development, approval and marketing cost. This problem is very similar to oxalic acid in this country as it is so ubiquitous and low cost as Wood Bleach. If I was backpacking and had no other resources I would certainly use my own urine to clean a wound. I have a barn, had animals and did not think about it much and never saw a problem with animal urine other than odor. I used lime to abate the issue and for clean up - all went into the garden to build soil out of gravel and yellow dirt. It is a very curious resource for which I have very limited knowledge.

I am also intrigued by the way bees hold their waste in winter and extract resources from it, etc. I read this somewhere while studying and researching honey bee & hive affects on water supply. I will have to find it again under "wintering poop & pee" or cleansing flight biology

Maybe we need a pure non-profit honey bee research and product development organization for the benefit of backyard beekeeping. Commercial development by others could help support the organizations efforts. Universities do not seem to be able to "cut the mustard" anymore. Enough wandering for now

Quote Originally Posted by SWB View Post
    I find this article quite interesting. I do have to wonder however if the cows which donated their urine for this study had been inoculated with antibiotics (or, anything else for that matter). If they have then a whole new study needs to be done as a 'control group' using cows which had never had any sort of medicine. My point is - the fact that it was 'cow urine', may be a total coincidence and the benefits were due to the antibiotics in the cow's system at the time the urine was collected.

Stephen B.
    This connection could be very real. About 10 years ago a high percentage of the vultures in India were being wiped out by an anti lameness drug fed to cattle. Carcasses hauled to the fields were passing the drug on to the vultures who for some reason are vulnerable despite the fact that they are immune to many pathogens deadly to humans. The drug may have been ibuprofen but a person could easily search it up.

SuisGenersis post # 30 is also on target!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by SWB View Post

Stephen B.
    I really doubt that any antibiotics were in use though in re-reading the study it does seem to be a bit of an oversight not to mention anything about the diet or sex (possible hormone content) or anything else about the animals that produced the urine other than the fact that the Desi breed was preferred.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

The reporting is very weak. The Desi is preferred Because? Easier to catch the pee maybe?
    Still interesting even without an available cow.
    I know someone is going to offer ;"just 3 easy payments of $19.99 (plus shipping and handling)
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12