Sierra Nevada

Thread: Sierra Nevada

Default Sierra Nevada

Hello,

I'm completely new to beekeeping here.
    Seeing as Spring is coming up I'm just wondering if there is any possibility at all to motivate bees on my property.
    I have a peice of forested property on the east side of the Sierra Nevada at 7000 feet with next to no neighbors and nothing built on it. The winters get between 3 and 8 feet of snow.
    I'm wondering how possible it would be to have a colony.
    And if it is possible, what the lowest amount of maintenance could be.

Like could I attempt to just setup a bait hive this spring for almost no cost or time effort and see what happens? Is there any probability I would get something? Sorry, but I have no idea.

If there is a possibility I would also do something to bearproof it probably with some heavy duty bolted down cage to cover the hive.
    Honey collection wouldn't be that important to me as much as would just getting a hive established for fun just as an attempt and maybe go from there in future years.

Thanks all

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Sierra Nevada

Welcome! It’s quite possible that you have colonies in the area they are very adaptive, see if you can find a beekeeper that will help you out putting up a swarm box.
    Rod

[QUOTE=SnH;1782197]Hello,

Like could I attempt to just setup a bait hive this spring for almost no cost or time effort and see what happens? Is there any probability I would get something? Sorry, but I have no idea."

Given the situation, I agree that getting feral survivors would be the way to go.

What I'm wondering is; have you ever observed honeybees working the wildflowers at your location?

I've heard that bees in the sierras collect 'honeydew' from pine trees. Or maybe its fir trees. Open meadows with wildflowers and various underbrush shrubs would be your best source of bee food besides that.

SnH:

Welcome to Beesource! I concur with Rod that you should inquire locally to see if there are any beekeepers in the neighborhood who can help mentor you in the process.

Beyond that, Mr. Jason Bruns has some excellent step-by-step write-ups concerning swarm traps that might be helpful to you:

http://letmbee.com/

Finally, if you are not too concerned with frequent manipulations, you could plan on permanently mounting the hive in a tree as some defense against bear incursions as they have done in Africa for millennia:

https://www.infonet-biovision.org/An...lth/Beekeeping

Best of success to you in your beekeeping adventure!

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

I would suggest you contact Randy Oliver. He's in Nevada City. Not sure exactly where you're at, but you'll kniw how far Nevada City is.