Hello from Lutz, Florida

Default Hello from Lutz, Florida

Hi. Looking to lure my first swarm.
    I'm 52 and am excited to finally start keeping bees. As a kid, there was a group of "hippies" that rented the old farmhouse next to my parents house and they had several hives. They tried to show me what to do, but their suits were WAY to big for me and I was too scared to get too close without one.... I was only 6 or so.
    For years, I was fascinated and unfortunately got stung Many times... and not only by bees, but also many yellow jackets, wasps and hornets... but mostly Yellow Jackets by accidentally walking over their underground hives!
    By the age of 9, I had started developing an allergic reaction. At first, just mild swelling, one time on the eye lid and my eye swelled shut. Later it was my whole arm or whole leg when I got stung there. The doctor told my mom I am developing an allergy that could be temporary or could become severe. Needless to say, I stayed away from bees and had not gotten stung again until just a few years ago (by accidentally placing my hand on a bee in the grass) and there was no reaction. I then cut a banana leaf off a plant and there was a wasp nest under it and I got stung and again, no reaction. WOO HOO! Toxic build up gone!
    Well, Last year, while walking around the building our business is in, I noticed a small swarm of bees around the eaves... I guessed they were doing a morning cleansing flight. Over the next few days, we had a few bees that found their way into the building too. Well, they must have absconded or died as there were no more cleansing flights after that first week and I never saw any more. But it re-sparked my desire and over the past year, I've been watching videos, Reading books, websites, FB Group posts, etc. I've apparently been so... obsessed with bee videos, that my other half decided to surprise me with a "Bee Keeper Kit". Well, it wasn't what we thought it was supposed to be. There was just a 10 frame deep super (with plastic foundations), suit and smoker. But that's ok... I made a cover and base. I then bought some LGO and am now waiting.

I DID find out an acquaintance that I've traded different plants with, has been keeping bees and doing swarm removals for over 30 years! He offered me a split and invited me to come visit any time to get some experience and am looking forward to taking him up on that offer, but told him I'll pass on the split as I'd like to try my hand at my own lured wild swarm.

Hope that wasn't too much info but looking forward to learning and sharing here

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hello from Lutz, Florida

Welcome to Beesource and good luck with the swarm catching. The more traps you have, properly placed, the better your chances of getting one your first year.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Welcome.
    Proverbs 16:24

Welcome and good luck swarm fishing!
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Paulzie View Post
    I DID find out an acquaintance that I've traded different plants with, has been keeping bees and doing swarm removals for over 30 years! He offered me a split and invited me to come visit any time to get some experience and am looking forward to taking him up on that offer, but told him I'll pass on the split as I'd like to try my hand at my own lured wild swarm.
    Paulzie:

Welcome to Beesource! I wish you all the best of success in your swarm trapping efforts, and I would humbly suggest that you take fullest advantage of your experienced beekeeper acquaintance. He will be a wealth of knowledge and steer you clear of many a pitfall you will otherwise have to learn the hard way.

Finally, if your budget will support it you might try buying another hive set-up and taking him up on a split. Beekeeping is even more fun with two hives, and it gives you some options if one of them has problems.

Good luck this year!

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Thank you everyone and thank you Russ. I do plan on spending time with him and have been reconsidering that split :-) He said his are very calm and peaceful so, knowing what I'm going to be dealing with is better than not. Especially for my first hive.
    Thanks again

Welcome to Bee Source and best of luck with your bees this year.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."