Feral Bees???

Thread: Feral Bees???

Default Feral Bees???

I was just reading on the forums here and someone mentioned feral bees . In reading ,it turns out that there were other bees around fairly close. Is it just me or is that not truly feral bees?
    I know I have some swarms I have caught around here and they don't seem any different than my other bees. I have one hive however, that I caught in the mountains miles from anyone. These seem a smaller and slightly more aggressive than my regular Italians. The comb cells they make is also smaller.
    I consider these feral bees even though I know that somewhere in the past they were probably someone's bees. I am thinking that they have been on their own so long that they would be considered feral bees. Your thoughts?
    Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Feral Bees???

Feral means a domestic animal that has gone wild. Any honeybee in the US not in a human provided home is by definition feral. I got a swarm last year. It probably came from my neighbor's hive. I put it in a box so it isn't feral, but if it had gone into a tree it would be feral.

Actually the definition of feral I was talking about is "reverting back to a wild state". It takes some time for this to occur. A swarm going into a tree is still domesticated bees....just not in a man-made hive.
    The ones I am talking about are the ones that have survived on their own .
    Last edited by fadder; 02-19-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Sorry, used to be an English teacher and still a bit pedantic. It's obvious what you were saying but my habit is to 'correct' things that really don't need correcting.

I don't know how you could identify true feral bees, meaning bees that had lived several or many generations without human intervention. Domestic bees vary so much in color, size, personality.

It's true about color and size. These are smaller and the comb they produce is very small cell. Also these were caught about 10 - 12 miles from houses or farms.

I believe there re some feral bees in some back woods areas. If you could find the tree they probably will cast a swarm every year just because of needed space. Most wooded land has been logged { in my area} so the big, old trees with large cavities are mostly gone. Be aware of mite loads and if the cells/bees are smaller you might want to keep them on frames without foundation.

That's what I have been doing. I figure the small cells might help with mites, but who knows. I am still treating when needed.