My First Long Lang

Default My First Long Lang

My son bought this box at an auction a few years ago for $2......he used it for a halloween (coffin). He wanted to get rid of it, so I took it for a storage box. It's very well built & sturdy.

I decided to make a long hive out it, and so this is how it turned out. I added a piece of fiberglass on the lid to make it rain resistant and a few rails inside to hold the frames etc. There is a divider in the center so I can keep two colonies in it, but trying one for the first year.

I caught a small'ish swarm late last summer and dumped them it and fed them until it got cold. Instead of an inner cover, I decided to use plexiglass pieces so I could view what's going on inside without disturbing them.....the plexiglass is removable in 10" sections. During the winter I cover the plexi with insulation to help retain the heat. Pix were taken on a day about 35. They're not real active, but still moving.

I'll try to add pix, but no guarantee.....

Crud...the pix are sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim KS; 02-18-2020 at 10:12 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: My First Long Lang

Wow, very cool. Keep us posted on how it goes, and, how much honey you get. I saw, somewhere on beesource, where someone said you don't get much honey from a Long Lan.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.