Help needed with Bee's

Default Help needed with Bee's

Good afternoon everyone. Not sure where this should be posted so feel free to relocate. I am in need of assistance with a bee issue and would like some thoughts from the beekeeping community. I am a board member of a pool club in Maryland and have been tasked with finding a solution for a bee problem around the trash cans. We were inundated with bee's of all kinds last summer at our club and the knee jerk reaction was to trap and subsequently kill every bee they could. We all know that bee's are precious so we are seeking some bee friendly remedies. We are cleaning the trash cans as often as possible and have self closing lids but they are still present.

Some of our ideas are mothballs in the cans to deter the bees from landing as well as making a bee garden in a large open area away from the pools themselves. I have limited experience with beekeeping but I know they need a water source and a food source during bad times in the season. I would love to put some hives at the club to support the bee population but am concerned that this would be viewed as furthering the problem by the members. I appreciate any thoughts that you may have and thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Help needed with Bee's

Bees and swimming pools are a common problem for backyard beekeepers and their neighbors. I would not encourage you to locate hives close to your pool if you are already experiencing a problem. But it sounds like they are after food sources in the trash, not water from the pool. They are most likely targeting sugary drinks. If you see them eating hot dogs and hamburgers, you are not looking at bees. You are looking at yellow jackets. If you can get your club members to deposit all drink cans, cups and sugary items into a trash receptacle with a top that automatically or manually closes, you should not have a problem. All other trash, including food items, can be deposited in open trash cans.

Two asides: First, I know it is an impossible task to convince people of this, but foraging bees are just not a threat. They are only defensive around their own hives, not out collecting food. Yellow jackets, which are often confused with bees, will sting you for the hell of it. Second, it really does not harm bee colonies if you wanted to trap and kill bees at the cans. I know that sounds a little strange, but these are super-organisms (the hive) and the individual bees are not extremely valuable to it. You will not do the hive damage by trapping/killing bees at the can. If it makes the club members feel better, have at it.

I agree with psm1212 that you need to really verify that they are honey bees. My guess based on your post is that they are yellow jackets, which often forage trash cans. There are numerous yellow jacket traps available that are not going to kill many, if any, honey bees. Foraging bees, as mentioned, are quite docile and will not sting you in most circumstances. Yellow jackets will sting you because they can. I kill them by the thousands every year.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Yup, I’m betting on them being mostly YJ’s too, I would suggest a exterminator or a beekeeper come and identify the actors and what is going on. If it is bees, maybe there’s a feral hive nearby that could be cut out and the situation would calm down as far as that goes.
    Rod

Thank you all for the replies.