Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

When to remove entrance reducer with variable temps

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Western 
#1 ·
In Texas it will 80 degrees tomorrow. Thursday morning it's supposed to be 34 degrees. Then going back to 60's during the day, 40-50 at night for a while.

My bees are active hauling in pollen. At 10:30 this morning some are hanging outside the hive (high of 70 today).

Should I wait until the night-time temps stay above 50 degrees before pulling off the reducers? These are established hives (2-3 years old).

Thanks!

#2 ·
I wouldn’t worry about the temps, the bees’ll be above the entrance and be fairly out of the cold air. The main thing is, is the hive strong enough to defend it on full open. Maybe can you adjust it aside a little to make an alternative entrance.

#5 ·
Scott, What do you have them at now?

Mine have been 2-3" x3/4" all "winter". I hardly ever run one full open as well, usually to half+. I have various 3/4" lengths I have cut to add if I feel the need.

Already having wasp trouble with these warm temps, so I like the small entrance right now here.

You're right on the pollen, I have 3 types coming in based on just color, inspected 4 hives and they are loaded with pollen/bread and larvae/capped brood everywhere. Syrup/honey stores getting hammered early.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.