Will glue survive 250 degree wax dipping temps?

Default Will glue survive 250 degree wax dipping temps?

I hadn't seen anywhere sayin wether glue could survive the wax dipping process or not so I thought I'd test it out. https://youtu.be/AWwg0gdsFG8
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Hey Caveman 😁 you’re good at only 250. That’s not hot enough to start breaking the polymer chains in the glue. It’s hot enough to soften the polymers and if you were to stress a low surface area joint while it is still hot you might pull the joint apart. That’s something woodworkers do to disassemble a joint, but it only works while the joint is hot, in fact the joint will disassemble at around 200 degrees. But when it cools the joint is full strength again. You’ll have to get it a lot hotter to start permanently changing the polymers. Your test was a good example of that.
    Zone 6B

Default Re: Will glue survive 250 degree wax dipping temps?

Couldn't find it today, but I wondered this 2 years ago, and found that tight bond 3 had a temp limit higher(375?) than my dip temperature (270). However the f26 construction adhesive has a temperature limitation lower than 270. I dipped them anyway(despise painting), and found the construction adhesive that had squeezed out before dipping had become rubbery. Will never use it again, only tight bond for me from now on.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

Yeah I think for the price/ease of use and cleanup Titebond glues are hard to beat. 375? that is awesome

I find that titebond 3 a lot more watery, runs all over the place, I think I'll stick with titebond 2.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Titebond 2 holds after I dip at 325, so your good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee's Bees LLC View Post
    Yeah I think for the price/ease of use and cleanup Titebond glues are hard to beat. 375? that is awesome
    Noticed on your You Tube video you had wood glue out in your shed. There are minimum temperature for using Titebond glues that are around fifty degrees, I, II, and III are slightly different. This could cause a failure in your testing that has nothing to do with the temperature of your wax in the dipping tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorjet View Post
    Noticed on your You Tube video you had wood glue out in your shed. There are minimum temperature for using Titebond glues that are around fifty degrees, I, II, and III are slightly different. This could cause a failure in your testing that has nothing to do with the temperature of your wax in the dipping tank.
    Not sure about the titebond products but the run of the mill PVA wood glues are permanently damaged if the bottle is stored near or below freezing. They curdle a bit like slightly soured milk and make very weak joints even if warmed and applied at normal temps.
    Frank

That is very interesting. I was using some titebond II yesterday that looked like curdled milk . Guess I'd better start watching where I store my glue. Good thing it's almost gone. Thanks for the info
    Jerry

Very true it does look like curdled milk after a night sitting out in freezing temps and is ruined at that point. A little separation does occur in gallons that have been sitting for a while even in ideal temps. Like backyard bees said I like how much thicker titebond II is.