Cracking Hives The Easy Way

Hybrid View

Default Cracking Hives The Easy Way

I know it's winter going into spring in the Northern Hemisphere, but over here it's fall, and honey harvest time. I've been harvesting honey and once again finding how difficult it can be to seperate gummed together boxes. In fact this can be one of the most back breaking tasks in beekeeping.

Finally, after all my life doing it the hard way, I have discovered the easy way. So simple, wish i'd thought of this 40 years ago. 🙄

Thought i should share, here we go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbYClrv9-BI
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Default Re: Cracking Hives The Easy Way

why you turn comments off?

Sorry to say but your beespace between your hives is wrong. I'd never put up with that much comb between the boxes. Lot of work. Good Luck.

Good idea Oldtimer. Nothing worse than lifting a deep with another attached. An extra "hand" really helps when working alone. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Good idea Oldtimer. Nothing worse than lifting a deep with another attached. An extra "hand" really helps when working alone. J

Stuck together Hive boxes and frames are such a pain that I designed a hive tool to make my life easier.
    I got tired of setting everything down to fight the boxes and frames, not to mention dropping or otherwise misplacing my steel hive tool.
    It worked so well, I decided to add it to our online store.
    I recently received a patent on the tool, which I thought was pretty cool.
    Check it out.
    hive tool.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Harmony Farms View Post
    Stuck together Hive boxes and frames are such a pain that I designed a hive tool to make my life easier.
    I got tired of setting everything down to fight the boxes and frames, not to mention dropping or otherwise misplacing my steel hive tool.
    It worked so well, I decided to add it to our online store.
    I recently received a patent on the tool, which I thought was pretty cool.
    Check it out.
    hive tool.jpg
    Great design, glad I saw this - just ordered one!

Quote Originally Posted by Swarmhunter View Post
    Sorry to say but your beespace between your hives is wrong. I'd never put up with that much comb between the boxes. Lot of work. Good Luck.

What do you think the frame spacing was in the picture?

I thought from the depth of the build up that spacing must have been about 3/8th".
    Frank

Genetics plays a part in construction of bridge and brace comb. Hive management plays a part as a crowded hive late in the flow will burr everything up. Langstroth dimensions are also at fault with 9-1/8 inch deep frames in a 9-5/8 inch deep box giving 1/2 inch between the top and bottom frames. This is one more reason why I switched to Square Dadant hives with 11-1/4 inch frames in 11-5/8 inch deep boxes. There is only one box for brood and for wintering with supers for honey on top. I rarely see this much burr comb.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

It looks lke well over a half inch to me. I could be wrong though

Quote Originally Posted by COAL REAPER View Post
    I set the comments to on, but apparently YouTube has disabled the comments for child protection. Later today when i have time i will try to figure out how to fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by Swarmhunter View Post
    I think you are correct. The video was not about that though, it was about how to seperate boxes once in the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by COAL REAPER View Post
    Fixed that.

So OT. I would lose the plastic and go back to wood. Nothing quite like plastic to have stuck together frames.

Totally agree. i think wood is better in several different ways for bees. Even in our mild winters here, when i was in the process of switching from wood to plastic and had both in the same apiary, it could easily be seen the bees on wood wintering better than the bees on plastic.

But the people who buy bees from me want plastic, so, gotta give the customer what they want.

Good video, Oldtimer. Thank you for sharing. I have some inherited top-bar Warre boxes that tend to get braced up pretty heavily.

I am going to make a point of getting a plastic wedge for just this purpose.

Thanks again.

Russ
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    So OT. I would lose the plastic and go back to wood. Nothing quite like plastic to have stuck together frames.

We also only have major problems with comb between boxes on the few we have with those PF plastic frames. I was puzzled when my good buddy Charlie gave me a whole box of those for FREE! When we complained to him about the massive burr combing between the boxes he admitted that is why he gave them to us.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Older we get the more we learn! As I have progressed (IMO) my colonies are propolizing more and more as well as producing some occasional burr comb. I have also noticed some boxes "grew" in height and need trimming. One trick I have added is to use a thin chisel/wedge and a wide, actually two different widths, plaster's knifes. I slip that into and at times across the joint to insure the combs get released. As propolizing has increased, the combs mostly stay in place now. But I still use this method often with brood chambers to minimize disturbing brood comb.