Managing spring build up - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Managing spring build up

How do you cut plastic foundation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Really it doesn't matter where the hole is on the sheet of Partial Foundation. The issue is that it is usually filled with Drone Comb, so that it why I try to keep the middle of the Foundation as worker comb. I would cut the bottom corners off, but you could cut off each corner or drill a large hole in the middle. But a hole in the middle is often left as a communication hole to get to the other side and it seems to be a good place for queen cells to be built.

Have a look at the photos on my web page for suggested ways to cut foundation.

I don't think the outer cluster experiencing the cold has much to do with it as you get the same results if you put a partial foundation in the middle of the cluster. I'll repeat this again:

Quote Originally Posted by MattDavey View Post
    I believe that partial foundation causes the night time cluster to experience the empty space around the outside of the Broodnest. They have to cling onto each other and store nectar/honey in their stomach. So this is like they are in a swarm cluster and it helps to stimulate wax production and build comb. But it takes a few days for this to happen and they may chew wax from other places in the hive to build comb. So the hole needs to be big enough to get past that and for wax making to start happening.
    They may also chew up your wax foundation too.

I expect so, but not until drawing it out. Or at least as they draw it out. Doubt they will simply plug the hole.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

I use Tin snips to cut plastic foundation.

Make sure the plastic foundation is well coated with wax. It makes a big difference in getting comb to be drawn out on it. Especially early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghues View Post
    I use and recommend using a jigsaw for all plastic foundation. Acorn brand plastic foundation seems a bit softer to me than other brands and cuts just fine with a table saw. Other brands have shattered on me with the table saw so I don't recommend using it.

@AMK
    Wondering how did you go on the weekend? Any signs of Swarm Prep?

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    I use and recommend using a jigsaw for all plastic foundation. Acorn brand plastic foundation seems a bit softer to me than other brands and cuts just fine with a table saw. Other brands have shattered on me with the table saw so I don't recommend using it.
    Using a blade with more teeth will prevent foundation shattering.

@AMK
    Wondering how did you go on the weekend? Any signs of Swarm Prep?
    Everything seems to be going good. I pulled some brood frames and made a cell starter colony which helped to. I think I should be good. 🤞

Good to hear it went well. I would love to see photos of the first couple of frames getting drawn. I missed my chance to get photos this season. Wanting to see if the initial comb is typically reused old wax first and then the rest is new comb.

Did you use wax or plastic foundation for frames with partial foundation?

Have fun with raising queen cells.

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    Using a blade with more teeth will prevent foundation shattering.
    Yes! The shattering can be explosive. There is such a think as dedicated "plywood" blades with extremely fine teeth and very little "set". In a pinch you can put the blade on backwards and it will cut the foundation. Also works to cut sheet metal.
    Frank

I tried the OSBN last weekend when I started seeing queen cells. Checked this past week and found no queen cells. So far it has worked well. I also accidentally left out a frame last weekend which worked out well because it started them making wax. I just wanted to say thanks for the help. I’ve never opened the sides. I’ve always opened the middle.

I made a video about it on my YT channel.

Thanks again!

Ryan

Thanks for sharing. For the first half of the video I was wondering where you actually did OSBN because you did a small split and then forgot to put a frame in the bottom box

Only made sense when you showed the 2nd brood box with the two frames of foundation being drawn. As you said, forgetting the frame in the bottom is the reason they started drawing comb. They may not have done that if you had just put in the 2 frames of foundation.

Since you only put a drawn comb in the bottom box you should look at putting a couple of frames of foundation in the bottom within the next week. Because if wax making stops you may have to retrigger wax making with a frame of partial foundation.

(With the smoke, using too much can make bees more angry, squishing them also doesn't help!)

Thanks for sharing. For the first half of the video I was wondering where you actually did OSBN because you did a small split and then forgot to put a frame in the bottom box

Only made sense when you showed the 2nd brood box with the two frames of foundation being drawn. As you said, forgetting the frame in the bottom is the reason they started drawing comb. They may not have done that if you had just put in the 2 frames of foundation.

Since you only put a drawn comb in the bottom box you should look at putting a couple of frames of foundation in the bottom within the next week. Because if wax making stops you may have to retrigger wax making with a frame of partial foundation.

(With the smoke, using too much can make bees more angry, squishing them also doesn't help!)
    They were ornery for sure. It was windy out there, but I didn’t have a choice with all the bad weather we have had lately.

Thanks for the advice, I will do that. It is funny how a mistake made this successful. Wish I could get that lucky every time.

For clarity, I think I need to make another video of me doing this on another hive on the day that I actually put the frames into the hives.

Thanks,
    Ryan

@AMK
    Womdering how are things progressing? Have you got waxing making happening in most or all hives?

I’d like to give an update. I OSBN how Matt described on his website and it appears that it effectively changed their minds from swarming. Found several charged queen cups on the first visit. Opened the sides of the nest and went back 2 weeks later. Found no swarm cells AND all the bees still in the hive. I’m sorry to AMK that I’m hijacking your thread, but I wanted to let folks know that this method worked great for me. Thanks!

I just supered my hives yesterday, and I think I’m a little late in doing it. Already seeing bees on the crimson clover 😳

My Acorn foundation just snaps if bent over a hard edge. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
    My Acorn foundation just snaps if bent over a hard edge. Works for me.
    Yep, similar experience here. I used my hive tool to cut a groove in the Mann Lake plastic foundation, using another frame as a straight edge. After several passes, you could snap it.

@ Matt Davey I have two hives that built about a dozen swarm cups on the bottom of the top box should I rotate the boxes are they determined to go now or just getting ready for later

With those hives I would remove all Swarm Cups and all Burr comb from the bottom of the frames in the next day or so.

Then put at least 2 frames of Partial Foundation and 2 frames of Foundation on the hive. One of each type on the outside edges of the Brood Nest in each Brood Box.

If they are building that many cups, they are interested in Swarming.

So how are things going now?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12