Evaluate your beekeeping location - using beescape.

Default Evaluate your beekeeping location - using beescape.

Try and see for yourself - works well for the US at least.

https://app.beescape.org/
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Evaluate your beekeeping location - using beescape.

just says error for me.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

I plugged in 3 different spots where I keep colonies, all well separated one is 30+ miles from the house here. It gives the exact same numbers for all 3. Problem is, one is rural, one is right in town, and one is way out in the bush, they are VERY different.

It says every parameter is the same at my location as it is 8 miles out in the North Channel of Lake Huron!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    It says every parameter is the same at my location as it is 8 miles out in the North Channel of Lake Huron!
    haha, that got me looking closer. Here in Campbell River it gives a set of numbers. Over on the west coast of the island in Tofino, same set. It is very different in terms of fauna and flora over there. So for giggles I continued another 100 miles or so west from Tofino and clicked again. Same set of numbers yet again. Kind of surprising it gives a 'medium at 39' for nesting sites at that location, it's a hundred miles offshore into the Pacific.

yep... says the watered Denver suburbs full of trees are the same as the national grasslands..Miles and miles from any Ag (excluding ranching), water, or trees.
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

Currently, landscape data are available for Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, New York, West Virginia, Michigan, and Wisconsin on Beescape. Anyone, however, can participate in the Beescape Team and provide information on your bees’ health

Quote Originally Posted by Jtcmedic View Post
    Currently, landscape data are available for Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, New York, West Virginia, Michigan, and Wisconsin on Beescape. Anyone, however, can participate in the Beescape Team and provide information on your beesí health
    I indeed missed this important part (this was NOT made clear in our local beekeeping forum).
    They really should put it up in BIG, BOLD letters on the front page, so to not waste people's time.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

No worries will be interesting when they have all the data .

Seems pretty useless to me.

I used this site yesterday. I liked that I could (see) my hives on the lowest setting. My truck happened to be in the satellite photo so I was able to (almost) see my bee boxes. The info available through the vegetation option was pretty minimal but could be of some help. All in all, this site was a novelty but not very useful in the long run.

I checked a couple of locations in PA.

One thing it is good for is insecticides. It seems pretty accurate to me on that front.

I got very different numbers from locations not far apart. Apparently, my back yard is a very poor place for bees! Too close to cropland so high insecticide scores, and low floral scores. The program apparently really likes bigger cities, as it gave much better scores in cities than in rural areas, with the exception of national forests which got good scores.

They ignore home/yard insecticide use, so that is one reason cities get good scores. I used to work in lawn care, and I can tell you that lawns get huge applications of insecticides, so I take the city scores with a grain of salt.

Pretty cool although im not sure how accurate. My home yard it says isnt great although i had 41 colonies make a mountain of honey last year.

I have two apiaries.....from what I see (Central WI) it's fairly accurate.....floral crop map is about right....
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwlSiOzgOU

Greg - thank you for posting this. I won't use it directly for moving the bees, but it will help me to plan scouting flights.