Hive Larva Surprise

Default Hive Larva Surprise

have a few hives at a low-lying location that is prone to flooding---so in advance of the coming storm tomorrow I stopped by to strap them down (Richmond, VA). It was dusk with a light rain and about 50 degrees. When working on the last hive I saw something different---immature hive beetle larvae scattered at the hive entrance. They weren't moving. Guard bees were at the entrance. It has been very warm the last few days, so it seems unlikely that they froze and were hauled out. I didn't think workers would displace live larvae. Your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive Larva Surprise

your hive(s) is/are infected.
    where there's one there are many more
    DavidZ

Default Re: Hive Larva Surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Natural View Post
    your hive(s) is/are infected.
    where there's one there are many more
    ^^^This
    They will try to exit the hive so they can finish their life cycle in the ground.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

I agree with apis natural. You need to do a thorough inspection when you can. Some larva fall to the bottom board even before they are ready to crawl out then may get carried to the "porch ". I have to keep an eye on them here in NC because it is warm enough for them to live year round near the edge of the cluster. This is a picture after a powdered sugar dusting over a screened oil tray.
    Attached Images Attached Images