Easy cell builder help - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Easy cell builder help

I would be concerned running two queens about space. Would be nice and crowded though.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

The dblnuc draws comb fast, and brood factory. Love them.
    Proverbs 16:24

If this your first attempt at queen rearing I’m guessing you have a small operation.

I use a triple stack of 5 frame nucs with a cloake board to raise queens. It does not take the resources that a separate starter box needs. Usually a strong nuc stack doesn’t even need more brood added to start. When not raising queens use the stack as a brood factory.

Don’ t be concerned that you aren’t experienced in grafting yet.. try to graft a dozen on a bar and you might only get 4 or 6 the first time.. Use those and try again. With a small operation most don’t need to be raising more than 6 or 8 queen cells at a time as they won’t have the resources to make up that many mating nucs.

With a triple stack of 5 frame boxes it’s easy to pull some of the top box frames when you are ready to use them in mating nucs. 5 frame nucs do work for mating by adding dummy frames on the outside to get the bee space down to 3 frames. After they get mated you can add brood from your brood factory stack.

Next spring keep your strongest overwintered nuc in a stack and start the process over again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123