Found 2 queens on one comb

Default Found 2 queens on one comb

I checked some hives today. In one nuc I found 2 queens on the same comb. One had the green mark from last year and the other was unmarked. I didnt see any queen cells on the combs so I think the other queen has been there for a while. I have no idea if she is mated or is viable to be a queen. What would you do? Smash the unknown queen or let the bees figure it out? It will be in the high 60s and low 70s next week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Found 2 queens on one comb

Leave them alone mother/ daughter situation very normal most likely. One will disappear in time.

Ya, let nature take it’s course. Most likely it’s a supercedure, if there was one that mistakenly lit it that hive she’d be quickly dispatched.
    Rod

Thanks. I will let the bees sort it out.

What you saw is not uncommon. I have seen two young queens laying peacefully inches apart on the same side of the same frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    What you saw is not uncommon. I have seen two young queens laying peacefully inches apart on the same side of the same frame.
    Vance, how do you know they were young queens? I've seen 2 queens lay on the opposite sides of the frame, but it's always been mother-daughter combo.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
    I checked some hives today. In one nuc I found 2 queens on the same comb. One had the green mark from last year and the other was unmarked. I didnt see any queen cells on the combs so I think the other queen has been there for a while. I have no idea if she is mated or is viable to be a queen. What would you do? Smash the unknown queen or let the bees figure it out? It will be in the high 60s and low 70s next week.
    Jason, they already figured it out and created a supersedure queen. Or you had 2 all along. If you smash one you will be "deciding" Choose wisely
    I see no point in doing anything, now. If they get too big split them then, or not. Maybe a good production Hive with 2 queens. Or 1 may not be much and the other is the "main" queen. If mine I would do nothing.

AGREE, Do nothing. The bees will sort it all out. Eventually, you will end up with just one queen.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Hey Jason I had a hive like that last year and the two queens stayed in there for awhile. Then one day I did a hive inspection and there was only one. The hive will figure out which one to keep hopefully its the better of the two. Not sure on your weather up there in NC and your bee population in that hive but you might think of doing a split. You can then figure out which is the better laying queen and you might luck out and have two good laying queens. Just a thought I would try. If it doesn't work out and one dies then you can just combine the hives.

Not at all uncommon. Let them sort it out....

Attached Images Attached Images
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

The "Bull of the Woods" used to claim that 10 percent of the hives have two queens.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    The "Bull of the Woods" used to claim that 10 percent of the hives have two queens.

Crazy Roland
    Don't leave me hanging. Who is "The Bull of the Woods"?

I think "Bull of the Woods" refers to any old and experienced beekeeper and not a specific individual, unless it is Crazy Roland himself.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    Not at all uncommon. Let them sort it out....

Cool picture, Ravenseye...
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

If I remember correctly Roland referred to his dad as the "Bull of the woods"
    He was The guy in charge

The "Bull of the Woods" is the German-Amaerican beekeeper that ran the beekeeping operation. He was blunt and to the point. For example, when cutting wood for bee equipment, the quote is "WE aren't building furniture, just bee houses"

My father would help out with things like comb honey and unpacking; and when bad weather got them behind.

Crazy Roland