2020 How was your winter? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2020 How was your winter?

AR1
    It is a balmy two degrees right now but going to be a sweaty 25 degrees for a low tonight and so better times are on their way. some low 50s coming which might be enough to let the bees take advantage of some of the trees that seem to be about ready. Doesn't look like a real warm spell is in the next ten days though unless it changes of course.
    Good luck
    gww
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Aran, hello. At what temperature in the spring do you apply the Apivar? I've got some late season cut outs that I never treated. In November I was getting an alcohol wash of 4 and I wanted to see if they would make it through winter with high of a mite load. So far so good. I'm seeing that the bees are chewing the feet off the mites ( on the chlorapast liner). In case I'm wrong I wanna have a contingency plan to treat them before the nector flow. Thanks in advance for your response!

Perfect winter. 100% survival of both hives. Until a week ago.

Then:
    Drone laying queen in hive 1.
    Then missing queen in hive 1.
    Then new queen which flew off when I marked her in hive 1.
    Now I am questioning if the second hive has lost her queen.
    Riches turning to rags.

Quote Originally Posted by crab414 View Post
    Aran, hello. At what temperature in the spring do you apply the Apivar? I've got some late season cut outs that I never treated. In November I was getting an alcohol wash of 4 and I wanted to see if they would make it through winter with high of a mite load. So far so good. I'm seeing that the bees are chewing the feet off the mites ( on the chlorapast liner). In case I'm wrong I wanna have a contingency plan to treat them before the nector flow. Thanks in advance for your response!
    aran may not answer for a while, he is out of town. I treat with apivar in the spring, have found that at 40 degrees F, you can't get the strips in the cluster, at 45 you can get them in but have to be really careful, at 50 no problem at all as the cluster has expanded a bit.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Taking advantage of the 44F day a few days ago, in between the rain and fog, I verified all nine colonies are surviving and flying. I had to check one hive which was not flying and was greeted by bees in all four corners. After 10 daisy of rain, fog grey and grey skies, I weighed a couple of hives. One hive went up in weight after 14 days of wet weather by 12 lb. Weighting to track bee activity is not easy. A day like today, 13F this morning at 58% RH and sunny is providing a "hive drying day", I believe. The important lesson for me is to Fall feed on conservative side so the 10-15 lb. of weight change due to moisture absorption, evaporation and other unknowns do not result in false interpretation and a feeding mistake (Trying not to feed all winter). I think it can also be partially attributed to significant brood rearing and water foraging but unsure for now.

Thanks for your response wildbranch200. I wish we could just have a warm enough day to check stores!

Thanks for your response wildbranch200. I wish we could just have a warm enough day to check stores!
    long term weather forecast say's we are going to get a day in the 50's with sun towards the end of april are you going to that conference on march 21 in your town?
    mike syracuse ny

I'd love to, but it's farrowing season. I've got eleven more litters coming. Maybe my daughter will have that week off from college 😉.

it's farrowing season. I've got eleven more litters coming.��.
    that should get you in shape for bees in the spring
    mike syracuse ny

Crab, you can easily check stores at 25F. At that temp the cluster is solid enough to open the hive for 30 seconds to check. You can pop the inner cover. Look to see where the cluster is, check for capped honey in top box by looking down in between the frames. Don't remove any frames or crack apart boxes. Stores overhead is good enough. If light make a plan.
    For those in warmer climes: at 50F you can definitely pull outside frames to check stores if you can't see from above. I would not pull frames where the cluster is and definitely not pull brood. If they are not yet gathering any nectar they will not be happy to see you.
    Last but not least: when in doubt, mountain camp as many # as you think they need. I won't hurt much.... Good luck!

-25F yesterday...it's far from over. Another month and a half.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwlSiOzgOU

Got above 50 here, so inspected the hives, 2 of the 5 were down to 4 frames of honey so added sugar cakes to both, other 3 still had 6 frames of honey so let them be.
    Also got a couple plum trees blooming a bit to early
    E1A72CD0-C00C-41FB-A133-1DDD7A123C37.jpgE1A72CD0-C00C-41FB-A133-1DDD7A123C37.jpg

About 50 here also but no hen bit in the garden and I did not see bees on the maples yet. Not as many as normal on the chicken feed but a few were. Still looks to be cold for a while except a few 50 degree days threw in here and there.
    I won't get into them till about 70 degrees and so will have to take it on faith that they will make it. If the weather cooperates, there should be natural food out there in the maples real soon.

They still seem to be alive and not starved yet, knock on wood.

The ground still seems to be a little solid below a nice few inches of real mud.
    Cheers
    gww
    Attached Images Attached Images
    zone 5b

Sorry for double pic 2nd plum
    3370624D-792C-4FB2-BD1A-7E2DEF78D73E.jpg

depends on the weather really. I typically get the apivar on late march early april. I dont like monkeying around in the brood chamber if its under 45F.

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    depends on the weather really. I typically get the apivar on late march early april. I dont like monkeying around in the brood chamber if its under 45F.
    if you had the weather you saw for the last week, it would be easy
    mike syracuse ny

Well, this "southern talk"....

For some of us the question is - "How is your winter so far?"
    20200214_070812.jpg

This is how I "commute" to work - a mile track across a frozen lake.
    20200220_181211.jpg
    20200221_085128.jpg
    20200221_085143.jpg
    20200221_085152.jpg
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Well, warm spell, checked them (just quickly lifted the top). Of 11 hives of various configurations, one is almost certainly dead, two show more than normal poop on the front. Added sugar to some that are low. I am hopeful to come through winter with 8/11, 10/11 would be better yet!
    So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    This is how I "commute" to work - a mile track across a frozen lake.
    Great photos, GregV.
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

You should have some holes drilled. Fresh fish through the ice is the best 😁

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast