2020 How was your winter? - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Default Re: 2020 How was your winter?

Quote Originally Posted by mdzialo View Post
    260 production hives in CT, and 6 died since late November. We breed purebred Russian queens, open mated, for six years. Finished putting pollen sub on last hive today. Plenty of stores. It's been mild recently. Cold last November, though.
    So if you open mate, How big of an area are your Drone hives in. In the Seeley articles Virgin Queens can fly several miles to mate.
    GG

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mdzialo View Post
    260 production hives in CT, and 6 died since late November. We breed purebred Russian queens, open mated, for six years. Finished putting pollen sub on last hive today. Plenty of stores. It's been mild recently. Cold last November, though.
    If they are open mated it would seem they are no longer purebred.

Was might imply past tence! I am looking out the window at swirling blowing knee deep snow and forecast of -15! Glad my bees are still snugly wrapped and have MC sugar and pollen patties onboard.

Opened some drone brood today. 0 mites.

if this bloody weather would cooperate we would be able to get on with things up here!

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    if this bloody weather would cooperate we would be able to get on with things up here!
    It has been close to 0 F. last couple of nights. Bees have only had three or four afternoons when they got a little bit of shivering flying done. Had a peek in at one hive that has been showing very little activity and worried about it. Ha! they are a cluster the size of a lunch pail and have half their top feed untouched. Happy where they are. Half loads just went on for the secondary roads so we should soon get a break and some pollen start coming in. If I was ambitious I could probably put some pollen sub on. Too much trouble the way I have my hives wrapped though. A bit risky too since dandelions are probably still 6 weeks away. I dont have much influence with the weatherman!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    that one warm day I put out some Mann Lake ulta, once they found it, the race was on, so I humped my butt into a couple yards and put more feeders out, got to expand my number of hives to keep the rif raf with fancy painted deeps out of my area
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789