2020 How was your winter? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

So far I have 12 out of 15 alive. Skunks worked me over good in one out yard. But that’s why you learn to make more bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2020 How was your winter?

Winter so far has been warm over here - too bl##dy warm. All hives have fondant in place since before Xmas: some are devouring it, some (those still with stores) are ignoring it. But it's still early - so not counting my chickens just yet.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Clover....
    Well Sputnick the Sas daughter hive that I thought was gone is doing well, bigger than I thought

Supposed 1 to 3 inches of snow predicted here this wens. Hope the ground hog was right. Early spring.
    Cheers
    gww

Ps LJ My hives used to eat the sugar before eating the stores.
    zone 5b

How did you know I gazed into space one summer night and saw Sputnick! Being the Space Shot type I have been digging hard into water in the hive or condensation, dehydration, venting, no venting, temperatures - insulation, etc. I have found a document worth studying from S. Africa. During a side-rabbit hole exploration I also found stuff relating to brood rearing - cluster size - colony dehydration. The British articles clearly support brood rearing, cluster activity and metabolic rates for colony survival. This assumes enough food. GO ladies, I'll provide syrup if needed.

74 yesterday, 15 tonight... I got a long way to go before I count my chickens
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

76 degrees here in So. Carolina. Went thru the 8 hives and 4 mucs we have at the house. 1 nuc that looked strong in december list their queen in the past couple weeks. A few capped brood, no eggs or larvae. 7 of 8 hives have 4 or more frames brood. Bringing in lots of pollen.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    How did you know I gazed into space one summer night and saw Sputnick! Being the Space Shot type I have been digging hard into water in the hive or condensation, dehydration, venting, no venting, temperatures - insulation, etc. I have found a document worth studying from S. Africa. During a side-rabbit hole exploration I also found stuff relating to brood rearing - cluster size - colony dehydration. The British articles clearly support brood rearing, cluster activity and metabolic rates for colony survival. This assumes enough food. GO ladies, I'll provide syrup if needed.
    What document?
    Proverbs 16:24

Was? Don't you mean Is?

It was 57 yesterday. Snow started about 2:00AM, wind woke me up. It's 21 right now and 6" of snow. We had about 1" of snow a week ago Tuesday, but Friday before last was 53. Welcome to the Rock Mountain Roller Coaster. It appears to be getting started about five weeks early this year.

As of yesterday all of my hives were doing excellent. Eight out of Eight. They were all out making cleansing flights. I watched most bees fly out and make a 20 ft circle and fly back in. I'm a little concerned about one, but that concern comes for a good reason I guess. It was well packed with bees in mid December, and it is still well packed. Bees have completely covered all frames in the top deep and they've eaten a lot of their food. I'm not sure there's enough food left for that big of a population. They got 10 lbs of mountain camp yesterday. I've got a different colony with a full medium above two deeps that hasn't moved into the medium yet, I may move that medium. Looks like that will be my first split and I'll be moving back into my ten frame gear, no more 8 frame bottom boards left my back hurts already.
    Zone 6B

8 and 1 nuc, and one hive full of drone layers left out of 12, looked them through today, and they were brooding up, all but one, it was packed with bees, but didn't see brood. see video on my channel.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Jc
    my back hurts already.
    Yeouch.
    Your warre is not too heavy.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

GWW

My Warre is empty right now. Unless it catches a swarm it is going to stay that way. It was a curiosity to play with, but my wand won't fit the entrance, the frames don't interchange, and I am so done with crush and strain.
    Last edited by JConnolly; 02-03-2020 at 07:14 PM.
    Zone 6B

Jc
    My Warre is empty right now. Unless it catches a swarm it is going to stay that way.
    Me too.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

4 of 4 still alive but it's too early for final judgement. Last year Jan/Feb was too warm and they ate all of their stores and then March was abnormally cold and high wind. Lost 4 of 5 then. I think I've solved the feeding issue but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Just a little north of you in mid-Mo. Spring is gone again with 2-3 inches of snow. Sunday I went into all of my hives as it was 65 F and added sugar blocks. I'll go back and check in the next 3 or 4 weeks and add more sugar if needed. I'm also adding pollen sub in my blocks now as added insurance. All my colonies were in the top box with 5 or 6 frames of bees, so they may need more sugar to make it through until the flowers give them fructose.

You know the saying, if you don't like the weather just wait five minutes and it will change again.

Jim
    Welcome to the forum. You might want to put your location in your profile so it shows up when you post. I really believe this helps you and others when discussing bees as location can be a factor on management. Yea, it is pretty yucky out today. If you don't know, there are two threads on here that you can find with search by typing Missouri. One is where people post swarms in real time and one shows what is blooming in real time. I really like those threads.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

New Beek here. 2 hives, both unfortunately didn’t make it.

But I loved this past spring, summer and fall so much, I ordered 6 more packages back in Dec before I knew I lost my first 2. Excited about the year. I learned so much and hope I do better this year to “get out of the way” of the bees and let them do their thing.
    I have a decent amount of honey remaining, and plenty of drawn comb for my new packages to get a jump on the spring.
    Last edited by Griffin; 02-05-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Griffin
    Welcome to the forum, sorry for the loss. Their is always this year.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Got 15 of 15 alive and active so far here in east Texas. The Callery pear trees started blooming this week and should be full of white blossoms in a week or so. This usually signals the start of buildup for us. Its in the 30's now but should be 65-70 deg this weekend. I plan to inspect, checkerboard, and begin OSBN (opening the sides of the brood nest) to get em pulling wax early.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    Wait - sun it out. Is that a band I hear out back??? I see guard bees collecting tickets!
    Funny, Robert!
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Dg....
    Are you foundationless? Welcome to the forum.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast