VSH bee choices for a beginner.

Question VSH bee choices for a beginner.

It has been (strongly) suggested to me that when I buy my first bees, I should get 1) local, 2) Italian and not try any other bee race for at least three years.

Today I found the BeeWeaver and the Saskatraz Bees - and have heard of others mentioning or advertising Verroa Senstive Hygiene bees - and with all three, their temperaments have been a mix review. Some say that they are gentle, others say that they are mean.

Either way, are these bees something a beginner should even consider? Part of me thinks that at least if there is a fighting chance of survival, maybe it would outweigh the bumps and bruises along the way.

What do you think?
    Photini Grace, Beekeeper Newbee.
    Just sayin' --- er --- warning, actually.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: VSH bee choices for a beginner.

welcome aboard pg!

for some reason beekeepers are good at 'strongly' suggesting most everything having to do with keeping bees.

that said, your best bet is to canvas the locals and solicit advice and even bees if you can get them from folks with a history of success in your general area.

locally produced nucs are the easiest to succeed with, especially if the seller is willing offer beginner support, and/or you have a local bee club willing to supply mentors.

Thank you, SquarePeg,
    I go to my first local Bee Association meeting Monday night. I'm fortunate to have two within the same distance from my location to choose from, so I will visit both for a while.

LOL.. .and you're right, 'strongly' suggesting seems to be a mainstay, but there IS a lot at stake.

your just a little bit north of me, and we are about a month or so away weather wise from the first inspections and manipulations of the season.

see if you can beg your way into getting some of those club members to let you come over and watch them open up their hives.

also, read up on and consider placing a swarm trap or two. free bees are among the best kind you can get.

decide in advance to cut yourself some slack, and be ready embrace the mistakes and missteps you will inevitably make along the way as valuable learning experiences.

oh yeah, and be sure to have fun.

I will - very good advice, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    decide in advance to cut yourself some slack, and be ready embrace the mistakes and missteps you will inevitably make along the way as valuable learning experiences.

oh yeah, and be sure to have fun. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
    Best advice ever right there, squarepeg. Wish someone had reminded me of that. 😆😆